To hold your breath
    To lose your temper
    To do it in turns

:D
    I got these from BNC :
    PART OF SPEECH: NO LIMITS (HELP)
    SECTION: NO LIMITS SAMPLE: 100 ENTRIES

CLICK ON TITLE FOR MORE CONTEXT
    1 KB8 S_conv you must and then you can get out and walk again. You have to take turns. Bryony's ridden all the way here look. Just a minute.
    2 KBW S_conv mended. Okay. What about this one? Oh this looks fun. Take in turns to throw the dice. Subtract the number you throw from ten and
    3 KC0 S_conv . Have you? So you do those Yeah. already? We sort of take it in turns of doing each sport with different PE teachers. I see.
    4 KDM S_conv drink! You you cheeky devil! First time this year! Do you take it in turns? Is it your birthday? yeah! I just say,
    5 KDS S_conv Right. You had the motherly touch. And I'd let them t take turns in choosing Yes. Yes. whatever. Yes. This was at like
    6 KDV S_conv need a packet of biscuits to take to work. Why? Because you take it in turns to provide biscuits to have with erm Okay. And a packet
    7 KPM S_conv Really? Yes. and they've taken it in turns in that now Take the washing, yes and they all, one week one of them does the
    8 KPM S_conv she's so lucky that she has all living in Griffing. Mm to take it all in turns. Yes, of course she'd never her own washing till
    9 H5G S_interview_oral_history there used to be the mate and erm three more sailors, used to take turns, well there was only four nights so the man who done the Monday
    10 HYC S_interview_oral_history then carry on with their ordinary routine of every day. They er you take it in turns, two of you go out and cut the chaff see?
    11 JT4 S_classroom , not in every scene is there, all the characters anyway. sort of take turns in doing it. Exactly, apart from, apart from the play, the actual
    12 D90 S_speech_scripted were encouraged to join a cookery pool, saving fuel by pooling rations and take it in turns to cook meals for other people in the group. Only five
    13 B0B W_fict_prose , and she's asked me to call and see her. We'll take it in turns to ride Joe." So, while Cheryl ran back to
    14 CAB W_fict_prose Act 1, Scene 1. Those not in the scene will have to take turns prompting. We must all pull together and help." She turned to
    15 CH9 W_fict_prose " "How lovely!" Little Billy cried. "Then we can take it in turns visiting each other!" "Of course we can," Don Mini
    16 CJF W_fict_prose Lily Moore had suggested that it wasn't fair, that they ought to take turns at the pulpit and the font. He should have made up his mind
    17 G0F W_fict_prose For an hour or two each day, no more, Howard and Felicity take it in turns to teach them. They do a little arithmetic, a little
    18 G0S W_fict_prose different drawing exercises, drapery and still life and other stuff --; and we take it in turns to pose." He looked relieved, as if he believed her
    19 G1M W_fict_prose you know about the Bridge? Can you estimate how many turns it could take before it snaps?" As Yukio Nakaguchi murmured in the background, Christine said
    20 H7W W_fict_prose ? Apart from taking on essential supplies, the trip is non-stop. We'll take turns on watch." Her appetite vanished. In fact, she felt decidedly
    21 HGN W_fict_prose Especially when eyes drift to her wedding-ringless finger. Between mouthfuls, our neighbours take it in turns to interrogate Rainbow. But Goldie, quick on the draw,
    22 HHA W_fict_prose before they could enter and must then fill it again. "We'll take it in turns," Fen declared. "It'll be no bad thing
    23 HHA W_fict_prose 'd better be prepared today to do everything on the move. We'll take it in turns to eat and spell each other on the tiller." He seemed
    24 JXY W_fict_prose shrugged. "Three, sometimes four times a night. We used to take it in turns, didn't we, Ken?" She glanced at her
    25 G1V W_fict_poetry past, Done with it, re-begun. Now street-side of the fence You take a few green turns, Nimble in nonchalance Before your first flower burns. From
    26 K21 W_news_script boat is equipped with all the latest satellite navigation and radar They'll take it in turns to man the winches and wheel and cook in the galley
    27 CH2 W_newsp_tabloid playing deadly "chicken in the box" inches from train lines. They take it in turns to crouch in a cardboard box --; edging it closer and closer
    Lots of "take it in turns" and lots of "take turns to <verb>". I've seldom heard 'do in turns', but when I've met it I've always understood it as another way of saying "take turns to do".

b

Re: collocations

Thanks everyone for your contributions.
    Now let's have another exercise:
    the collocations for
    'to ........ a message' (hand/give/put/leave)
    'to ........ an argument' (waste/fail/lose/miss)
    'to ........ attention' (keep/pay/take/make)
    'to ........ your seat belt' (lock/knot/tie/fasten)
    'to ........ your mind' (change/alter/switch/move)

I'll do the first one:
    "to leave a message" hehehe easy one.
    ok let's work again!

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your contributions.
    Now let's have another exercise:
    the collocations for
    'to leave a message' (hand/give/put/leave)
    'to lose an argument' (waste/fail/lose/miss) I'm not sure
    'to pay attention' (keep/pay/take/make)
    Also draw/get someone's attention
    'to fasten your seat belt' (lock/knot/tie/fasten)
    'to change your mind' (change/alter/switch/move)

I'll do the first one:
    "to leave a message" hehehe easy one.
    ok let's work again!
    Thank you

Is toe-to-toe a collocation?

toe-to-toe

Adverb
    1. in close combat or at close quarters; "they fought toe-to-toe for the nomination"

Thank you Atlaisha for your contributions, sorry I have no idea about your question; I hope someone will answer it.

Now, here is another exercise:
    the collocations for
    'the ........ time' (exact/definite/accurate/real)
    'to ........ someone a compliment' (send/make/pay/say)
    'to ........ sense' (make/see/look/appear)
    'to ........ a secret' (hold/save/retain/keep)
    'to ........ an opinion' (make/say/give/tell)

the first one, I guess is:
    the exact time, like:
    When is the exact time for our meeting?!

Thank you in advance
    sara

Other collocations:

the collocations for
    'to play ........ on people' (games/tricks/puzzles/jokes)
    'to ........ the table' (place/set/lay/make)
    'to ........ a record' (crack/fix/make/break)
    '........ the front of the queue' (by/on/at/in)
    'to ........ pets' (stand/hold/save/keep)

Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The 'table' one is interesting.

I (and most other people in the UK) would say 'set the table'; but when a table is already set, and you add a knife and fork for an extra person, you 'lay another place'; and - possibly as a result of these two expressions being mixed up - I've occasionally heard 'lay the table'.

Also, because of the number of Latinos in the fast-food business in the US, the expression 'put the table' (which sounds seriously wrong to my ears) is used (presumably on the analogy of poner la mesa; I've heard very Anglo-Saxon British people (doing Saturday jobs at Burger King) use this.

I'll leave the others for students.

b

Thank you so much Bobk for your explanation.
    I will answer some other ones:
    "To break the record" and "to keep pets".

Hello
    Here's another exercise:
    the collocations for

'the ........ of a river' (bank/shore/border/coast)
    'to ........ one's heart' (smash/crack/melt/break)
    'in ........ memory' (alive/lively/living/life)
    'to ........ hold of someone' (get/take/make/set)

Page 4 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last