• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Re: Marge cheated Homer

Episode:

Marge emotionally cheated her husband Homer, dating a bowling coach, who gave her a bowling glove with her name. Homer found the glove and sensed something.

Here's the dialogue between them when Marge was preparing their breakfast in the kitchen.

Homer: Marge, may I speak to you?

Marge: Sure.

Homer: You know, I've been thinking. Eveyone makes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but usually the jelly drips out over the side... and the guy's hands get all sticky. But your jelly stays right in the middle where it's supposed to. I don't know how you do it. You just got a gift, I guess. I've always thought so. I just never mentioned it, but it's time you knew how I feel. I don't believe in keeping feelings bottled up.

Question:

Could someone please interpret the part which is highlighted in blue for me? It sounds they are metaphors. But I can't figure them out.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Marge cheated Homer

I interpret is as Homer saying that he basically trusts Marge, that she is at heart an honest person who would not cheat on him.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi Anglika,

Thank you very much for your good interpretation. I caught the drift. :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Episode:

Marge emotionally cheated her husband Homer
    Hi,
    The term is actually "cheated on". Marge cheated on Homer.
    "Cheating someone" usually means tricking them out of some money.
    So, "I've been cheated" means something different from "I've been cheated on".
    By the way, I don't think Marge ever actually cheated on Homer. If I recall, she almost did. I think that technically you have to do something a bit more intimate than having an illicit bowling game to call it cheating. But usage may vary.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi Raymott,

Thank you very much for your correction.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I don't think that Homer is capable of metaphor. I think he realizes that Marge is attracted to someone else and he thinks it's in his best interest to compliment her, to say nice things so she'll think he's a nice guy too. And this was the best he could come up with.

I really don't think there was hidden meaning in it at all, and that's what makes it funny.

Imagine if you've had a bad day and you really need someone say something nice about you, and what your spouse comes up with is "You know, you really tie your shoes neatly. Most people have one end a tiny bit longer than the other, but not you. Your ends are always nice and even."

Now, maybe the person meant it as a metaphor, but maybe (and far more likely if it's Homer), it was just the best "nice thing" he could think of at the moment. Neatly tied shoes. A sandwich that doesn't drip jelly. Not very good compliments, are they? That's where the humor comes from.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I don't think that Homer is capable of metaphor. I think he realizes that Marge is attracted to someone else and he thinks it's in his best interest to compliment her, to say nice things so she'll think he's a nice guy too. And this was the best he could come up with.

I really don't think there was hidden meaning in it at all, and that's what makes it funny.

Imagine if you've had a bad day and you really need someone say something nice about you, and what your spouse comes up with is "You know, you really tie your shoes neatly. Most people have one end a tiny bit longer than the other, but not you. Your ends are always nice and even."

Now, maybe the person meant it as a metaphor, but maybe (and far more likely if it's Homer), it was just the best "nice thing" he could think of at the moment. Neatly tied shoes. A sandwich that doesn't drip jelly. Not very good compliments, are they? That's where the humor comes from.
    I agree Barb. I was going to comment, but decided it wasn't critical
    But, yes, Homer is incapable of that type of subtlety, and he's trying to win Marge back. And even though it's not much of a compliment, Marge will accept it in the spirit in which it's given (it's the thought that counts).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Barb_D & Raymott,

Thank you very much for your comments.