• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Dr. J

Scenario:

(A teacher is introducing a doctor to Homer.)

Teacher: You know our district psychiatrist, Dr. J. Loren Pryor.

Homer: Hey, Dr. J.

Questions:

Q1: I know "Mr." should be followed by surname or full name but not first name. But is it okay that a title, such as Dr. , Principle, be followed the first name? I mean whether 'Dr. J." , "Principle D." are correct to address a person or not.

Q2: Is it okay to call a person his/her initial name? I mean if I were Homer, can I call Dr. J. Loren Pryor, just "J"?

Q3: Some Westerners' names, such as, Peter, Simpson, Smith, are common and I can be easy to remember them; some, eg. Condoleezza Rice, are mouthful, and I often forget them at once after people introduce themselve to me. It is kind of embarrassing for me when I hope to call them during our conversation.

I am wondering whether native English speakers have the similar problems. And how can I solve it?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Dr. J

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Scenario:

(A teacher is introducing a doctor to Homer.)

Teacher: You know our district psychiatrist, Dr. J. Loren Pryor.

Homer: Hey, Dr. J.

Questions:

Q1: I know "Mr." should be followed by surname or full name but not first name. But is it okay that a title, such as Dr. , Principal, be followed the first name? I mean whether 'Dr. J." , "Principal D." are correct to address a person or not. No, it should be the surname.

Q2: Is it okay to call a person his/her initial name? I mean if I were Homer, can I call Dr. J. Loren Pryor, just "J"?Homer is not the world's best mannered or educated man. No - not unless you know him cery well.

Q3: Some Westerners' names, such as, Peter, Simpson, Smith, are common and I can be easy to remember them; some, eg. Condoleezza Rice, are mouthful, and I often forget them at once after people introduce themselve to me. It is kind of embarrassing for me when I hope to call them during our conversation.

I am wondering whether native English speakers have the similar problems. And how can I solve it? I have always had problems remembering names. I have to make sure that I use the name at least three times when we first meet, and that I link the name to some visual image connected to the person.

Thanks in advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Re: Dr. J

You're very helpful. I owe you big!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Dr. J

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Q1: I know "Mr." should be followed by surname or full name but not first name. But is it okay that a title, such as Dr. , Principle, be followed the first name? I mean whether 'Dr. J." , "Principle D." are correct to address a person or not.
    Some doctors like to be called Dr. John or Dr. Mary, but you have to know that before you call them that. It's actually not so uncommon.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Re: Dr. J

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Some doctors like to be called Dr. John or Dr. Mary, but you have to know that before you call them that. It's actually not so uncommon.
    Thank you for the info, Raymott.