pass through

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could take a look for me, what does " pass through" in this context?

Thanks for your help.

This one is from a business management class.

Professor: ... Why do some companies maintain a functional organization instead of organizing around projects?
    Student: Because, if you don't have that functional structure within your organization, chances are you'd have a harder time meeting the goals of the projects.
    P: Why? ...Listen, let's say we got four new cars we wanna design. Why do we need a functional organization? Why not just organize the company around the four projects - these people make car number one, these other people make car number two...
    S: Yes, but who's gonna be responsible for what? You know, the way you tell who's...
    P: Well, we'll appoint a manager: new car number one magager, car number two manager - they're completely responsible. Why should we have a single engineering department that has all four cars passing through it?

Re: pass through

In the given context I think it means: Why should we have a single engineering department that is working on all four cars?

Passing through can be taken to describe the project entering the department, and the subsequent design process from beginning to end. Once the project has passed through the department, it is complete.

I am not a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    In the given context I think it means: Why should we have a single engineering department that is working on all four cars?

Passing through can be taken to describe the project entering the department, and the subsequent design process from beginning to end. Once the project has passed through the department, it is complete.

I am not a teacher.
    Hi, colloquium,

Thanks for your help.

Then "pass through" in this case means transit / pass across / pass over, right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi, colloquium,

Thanks for your help.

Then "pass through" in this case means transit / pass across / pass over, right?

Why should we have a single engineering department that has all four cars passing through it? (The original sentence)
    Not quite. It doesn't have that literal meaning. The cars don't literally pass through the department.
    The sentence means "...
    a single engineering department that is responsible for (the production of) all four cars?
    The paperwork and the management of the project all "pass through" one engineering department, rather than being done separately for each car (either at the top level, or the assembly line level).

Maybe some other examples will help:
    "Your permit for the demonstration has to pass through the police department" - The police have to OK it (endorse/confirm/agree to).
    "I would give you the job, but your application has to pass through the Personnel section". (I don't have the authority to give you the job).

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Why should we have a single engineering department that has all four cars passing through it? (The original sentence)
    Not quite. It doesn't have that literal meaning. The cars don't literally pass through the department.
    The sentence means "...
    a single engineering department that is responsible for (the production of) all four cars?
    The paperwork and the management of the project all "pass through" one engineering department, rather than being done separately for each car (either at the top level, or the assembly line level).

Maybe some other examples will help:
    "Your permit for the demonstration has to pass through the police department" - The police have to OK it (endorse/confirm/agree to).
    "I would give you the job, but your application has to pass through the Personnel section". (I don't have the authority to give you the job).

Hi, Raymott,

Yes. I get it.

And I think "pass through" in this case could be exchanged with " go through", right?

1. Your permit for the demonstration has to pass through (I think we can also use " go through") the police department.

2.I would give you the job, but your application has to pass through (go through) the Personnel section.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi, Raymott,

Yes. I get it.

And I think "pass through" in this case could be exchanged with " go through", right?

1. Your permit for the demonstration has to pass through (I think we can also use " go through") the police department.

2.I would give you the job, but your application has to pass through (go through) the Personnel section.
    Yes, "go through" means the same thing here.