• Post Thanks / Like

Then we're through here

What does "Then we're through here " in this context? Does it mean, Then we're done here / we finish here. ?

Thanks for your help.

Warden: The reason I called you here...I noticed in your I- file, under occupation, you put down 'unemployed.' That's not true, now, is it? I know you're a structural engineer, Scofield. Shah Jahan built the Taj Majal as a monument to his undying love for his wife.My wife is quite fond of the story. It appeals to the romantic in her. Being married to someone in Corrections... terrible job. Wouldn't wish it on anyone. And yet, in 39 years my wife has never complained. And the worst part about it is, I've never thanked her. So, because I couldn't say it, I thought, you know, I could build it. Come June, it's our 40th anniversary. But here, look... you see, the problem is... I build anymore, it's all gonna come down like a house of cards. That's where I was hoping you could be of assistance. For the favor, I can offer you three days of work a week in here. And it'll keep you off the yard.
    Michael: I can't do it.
    Warden: Son, it's better for me to owe you one in here than it is for you to owe me one, I can promise you that.
    Michael: I'll take my chances.
    Warden: Then we're through here. Guard!

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Then we're through here

It means that there is nothing more to say, that the matter is settled.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Then we're through here

It's commonly used (on TV that is) by lawyers adopting an unbending negotiating position: 'My client has nothing more to say. Charge him, or we're through here.'