Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 442
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    None can be either singular or plural

    Hi

    I have seen at various occasions where None was both used as singular and plural esp., in the usages like None of X where X is plural.

    Could someone please elucidate this concept? Possibly with some good illustration


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: None can be either singular or plural

    Both sing and pl are possible after none.
    None of the factories have new equipment.
    None of the factories has new equipment.
    The singular verb gives the sentence a formal flavour.

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,958
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Smile Re: None can be either singular or plural


  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: None can be either singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    Hi

    I have seen at various occasions where None was both used as singular and plural esp., in the usages like None of X where X is plural.

    Could someone please elucidate this concept? Possibly with some good illustration
    Mmmm. I would love some more of those pakoras, sorry, there are none (left).

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,958
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Wink Re: None can be either singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Mmmm. I would love some more of those pakoras, sorry, there are none (left).
    Speaking of pakoras - I really can't eat them without cream, they're too hot, even when it says 'mild' on the package! That said, it's not that I don't like them, it's just my sensitive tongue...


  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: None can be either singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Speaking of pakoras - I really can't eat them without cream, they're too hot, even when it says 'mild' on the package! That said, it's not that I don't like them, it's just my sensitive tongue...

    Yoghurt is good too, a lot of people don't realise that chili is soluble in fat not in water so after eating chili which you find too "hot" it is useless to drink water.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 442
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: None can be either singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Both sing and pl are possible after none.
    None of the factories have new equipment.
    None of the factories has new equipment.
    The singular verb gives the sentence a formal flavour.
    Pakoras! are they Indian food? Yeah! there is one item in the name of pakoda baked in oil.. yummy food if made properly.

    Anyway

    Thanks to one and all for the responses.

    In the above quote, is there any possibility that each statement can be interpreted differently? I have an exam so I want to understand it clearly

    Sorry for the trouble


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: None can be either singular or plural

    I don't see any other differences except stylistic ones.

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: None can be either singular or plural

    Quote Originally Posted by kiranlegend View Post
    Pakoras! are they Indian food? Yeah! there is one item in the name of pakoda baked in oil.. yummy food if made properly.

    Anyway

    Thanks to one and all for the responses.

    In the above quote, is there any possibility that each statement can be interpreted differently? I have an exam so I want to understand it clearly

    Sorry for the trouble
    Yes, it should be pakoda but in English we generally spell it pakora because of the soft "d" which makes it sound a bit like an "r".

Similar Threads

  1. Singular and plural and their effects
    By Progress in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2007, 15:28
  2. possessive between plural and singular
    By noni in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2007, 09:54
  3. singular or plural?
    By mhermy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2006, 15:09
  4. verbs
    By eyescold_07 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Aug-2005, 07:32
  5. Is 'manners' plural or singular?
    By peppy_man in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2005, 00:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •