1. SueC

How do you correctly abbreviate senior after a name? Or not?

Hi,

I just found your forum. Would have been really interesting while I was teaching adult classes (ESL) during the past few years, but am planning to teach again during the winter. So, actually I don't know, if it is okay for me to post here

Now my question which came up during a recent translation from German to English (my other side job).

In the name of a foundation, for example Dr. John Smith senior Foundation, do you:

When the in the original (German version) the senior is abbreviated to sen. in German, abbreviate to Sr. or Sr or sr or sen. just the same? I was and am at loss, especially when the "senior" showed up in the text and then again in the name of the foundation, sometimes abbreviated, sometimes not. And then it is capitalized at times, and sometimes not....My stomach said Sr., but then again I wanted to stick with the German name of the foundation.

Oh, help. Is this a matter of personal preference or is there an actual rule somewhere to be found?

I would appreciate any help,

Sue

And if I am not allowed to post here (English is actually my second language, but my favorite) then just delete this post and will go back into my corner and sulk.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: How do you correctly abbreviate senior after a name? Or not?

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Hi,

I just found your forum. Would have been really interesting while I was teaching adult classes (ESL) during the past few years, but am planning to teach again during the winter. So, actually I don't know, if it is okay for me to post here

Now my question which came up during a recent translation from German to English (my other side job).

In the name of a foundation, for example Dr. John Smith senior Foundation, do you:

When the in the original (German version) the senior is abbreviated to sen. in German, abbreviate to Sr. or Sr or sr or sen. just the same? I was and am at loss, especially when the "senior" showed up in the text and then again in the name of the foundation, sometimes abbreviated, sometimes not. And then it is capitalized at times, and sometimes not....My stomach said Sr., but then again I wanted to stick with the German name of the foundation.

Oh, help. Is this a matter of personal preference or is there an actual rule somewhere to be found?

I would appreciate any help,

Sue

And if I am not allowed to post here (English is actually my second language, but my favorite) then just delete this post and will go back into my corner and sulk.

It certainly is OK for you to post here! Welcome!
    You can post questions, and if you know the answer, you can also post answers.
    To your question.
    The name is probably not "Dr. John Smith senior Foundation" in German, so you half translated it already. You might as well use English orthography for "senior" as well. This is "Snr" or "snr" or "Sr" or "sr", and another 4 variants with periods following the "r".
    A search of Google for "George Bush Snr/Sr" gives:
    325,000 hits for Sr, and only
    26,700 for Snr.
    The use of the period is not necessary, since "r" is the final letter, but it seems to be used in most cases.
    Thus, the popular translation would be
    "Dr. John Smith Sr. Foundation", as your stomach has already told you.
    (Others might disagree).
    What audience is your translation for? - that might be a factor in whether you translate it at all.

Thumbs up Re: How do you correctly abbreviate senior after a name? Or not?

Thank you Raymott
    To answer your question: the text is intended for the general public / visitors to a (top-notch) museum.

The gutt almost never lies, does it? Now I just have to convince the recipient of this translation, lol, who had another gutt feeling and just puts "Sr" after the name without the "."
    Either which way, thank you for taking the time to answer and for the warm welcome.
    As soon as I have a little more time on my hands I will have to take look around this site and the forum.

Best regards,

Sue