• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

one more on because vs in that

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate altitude, could produce enough berries to make between one and twleve poduns of dried bean a year.

A) enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate altitude, could produce

B) enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce.

I choose A. It is incorrect. Since here we are talking about why is it varying? we need to use because, correct?

If there is contrast of yield per acre of coffee berries to that of other crop, then 'in that' needs to be used, right? please confirm.

Also the differences between the two choices are depending... altitude part and '... produce' Is there any flaw in the usage of these two parts as they were in A?

thanks in advance:)

Re: one more on because vs in that

There are two errors in the first sentence, corrected in (B)

'in that' is used to introduce why a statement I have just made is true:
    I'm lucky in that I still have my health.
    (Having my health proves to me I am a lucky person)
    'because' is used when you are simply stating the reason for something.

In your sentence, you are not asserting a truth that 'yield per acre varies' and showing why this is true. Having high and low places in the world, having different climate zones etc does not prove that 'yield per acre varies' - they explain the reason why it varies.

Note that in (A) 'could' is used, and in (B), 'is able'.

Csn you see why 'is able' is correct?
    Last edited by David L.; 27-Aug-2008 at 22:19.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

hmm.. I guess 'Could' is expressing possibility. And in the statement 'produce enough berries to make between one and twleve pounds of dried bean a year.' Here the sentence' intention is to express the fact thay that the single tree produces as such mentioned in the quoted line. So 'is able' is used.

I can be utterly wrong.. :( But surely, at some point of time, i will start answering queries on this forum to questions like this.. :)

Please enlighten

You are right.
    A single tree is able to produce between 1 and 12 pounds - whether 1, 5, 8 or 12 depends on the other factors (e.g. climate)

"Under optimum growing conditions in climate and altitude, and now with the introduction of the new-generation of fertilizers, scientists are predicting that a single coffee tree could produce up to 15 pounds."

"Trees normally produce 1 to 9 pounds of coffee, but if growing conditions were made optimum, a single tree could produce up to 12 pounds."

Are you feeling downhearted? Understand - this sentence and the other one we looked at about 'the visions' are complicated because of the nuances in the wording. You may be losing sight of just how good your English really is. I can tell it's good from your responses to my replies.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

as usual, thanks to you David.. :)

I am getting better at English:)