Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 351
    #1

    Smile out-of-favour winger

    From Wright-Phillips ends Chelsea nightmare to return to City | Mail Online

    In the text below, what does "out-of-favour" mean?

    Manchester City have completed the signing of Chelsea's out-of-favour winger, Shaun Wright-Phillips, for a fee expected to be around 8 million, although the clubs declined to disclose the fee paid.

    One more question. Definition of winger as a noun.
    noun: (sports) player in wing position

    What does "wing position" mean?

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #2

    Re: out-of-favour winger

    Quote Originally Posted by dilermando View Post
    From Wright-Phillips ends Chelsea nightmare to return to City | Mail Online

    In the text below, what does "out-of-favour" mean?

    Manchester City have completed the signing of Chelsea's out-of-favour winger, Shaun Wright-Phillips, for a fee expected to be around 8 million, although the clubs declined to disclose the fee paid.

    One more question. Definition of winger as a noun.
    noun: (sports) player in wing position

    What does "wing position" mean?
    This sport is out of favour with me, so I can't help you (much). When a player is out of favour, his manager doesn't pick him in the 'starting line-up'; SWR may have been either sitting on the substitutes' bench or playing for the reserves recently at Chelsea; I wouldn't know - wrong shaped ball.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 351
    #3

    Smile Re: out-of-favour winger

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    This sport is out of favour with me, so I can't help you (much). When a player is out of favour, his manager doesn't pick him in the 'starting line-up'; SWR may have been either sitting on the substitutes' bench or playing for the reserves recently at Chelsea; I wouldn't know - wrong shaped ball.

    b
    From wing - Definitions from Dictionary.com

    16.Sports. (in some team games) any one of the positions, or a player in such a position, on the far side of the center position, known as the left and right wings with reference to the direction of the opposite goal.

    It must give an idea of what is the wing position.

    By the way, wringer is a person who plays a wing position.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #4

    Re: out-of-favour winger

    Quote Originally Posted by dilermando View Post
    From wing - Definitions from Dictionary.com

    16.Sports. (in some team games) any one of the positions, or a player in such a position, on the far side of the center position, known as the left and right wings with reference to the direction of the opposite goal.

    It must give an idea of what is the wing position.

    By the way, winger is a person who plays a wing position.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: out-of-favour winger

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    By the way, winger is a person who plays a wing position.
    But sometimes after a game it looks like he's been put through a wringer.

Similar Threads

  1. Do me a favour
    By Snow girl in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2008, 19:21
  2. favour
    By imchongjun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-Feb-2008, 03:19
  3. could you do me a favour?
    By abdalhadi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2007, 14:10
  4. Could i ask a favour of you?
    By sky753 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2005, 03:35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •