Exclamation Books for everyday situation...

Hello, I'm trying to learn a little American pronunciation by myself because I love that accent, so I've been studying the phonology, abobe all the vowels sounds.
    Anyway, I need a very good book (or more than one), that covers lots of everyday life situation. I bought two books of the Living Language editor, but I need something more specific and various, for example how to rent a car and what to do and say, what to do when you go to the bank or the post office...etc...
    Do you know some good titles?
    Thx,
    Gianluigi.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Books for everyday situation...

Quote Originally Posted by GiangiUSA View Post
    Hello, I'm trying to learn a little American pronunciation by myself because I love that accent, so I've been studying the phonology, abobe all the vowels sounds.
    Anyway, I need a very good book (or more than one), that covers lots of everyday life situation. I bought two books of the Living Language editor, but I need something more specific and various, for example how to rent a car and what to do and say, what to do when you go to the bank or the post office...etc...
    Do you know some good titles?
    Thx,
    Gianluigi.
    How are you going to learn an American accent from books? Surely you need CDs, DVDs, television, radio, or real Americans to base your speech on. By the way, there is a lot of regional variation in American pronunciation.

I suppose you could use a traveller's phrase book which provides phonetic transcriptions, but it would be very hard work and not very efficient.

This site might give you some help: Translations for Travelers: Index

Hi again,
    thank you for your answer.
    Anyway, I meant some books with CD indeed. I bouth the Living Language Real Life English with audio CDs. It's a good book, but it covers too many subjects. I need a book that has more dialogs about situations such as "how to ask for a rent (house, car...)", "how to ask for a doctor" or "insurance...", naturally I need audio CDs in order to listen the pronounce.
    Bye!