• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

herself

Before the Civil War, Harriet Tubman, herself an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland to guide other slaves along the Underground Railroad to freedom.
    (A) herself an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland to guide
    (B) being an escaped slave herself, returned again and again to Maryland so as to guide
    (C) an escaped slave herself, returned again and again to Maryland for guiding
    (D) herself as an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland so as to be the guide of
    (E) who had been herself as an escaped slave, returned again and again to Maryland for the guiding of

Could you please let me know which one could be correct? and why?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: herself

Any combination of "herself an escaped slave" or "an escapted slave herself" or "being an escapted slave herself" are all okay (that last one the oddest sounding to me, but not wrong).

That means you have to look at the other words that change: so as to be the guide, guiding, for the guiding of, or to guide

"To guide" is the superior choice. It's only in the original phrasing, so keep that, and choose A.

{not a teacher}

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Any combination of "herself an escaped slave" or "an escapted slave herself" or "being an escapted slave herself" are all okay (that last one the oddest sounding to me, but not wrong).

That means you have to look at the other words that change: so as to be the guide, guiding, for the guiding of, or to guide

"To guide" is the superior choice. It's only in the original phrasing, so keep that, and choose A.

{not a teacher}

Can you please explain how each of the above items is correct? I am not able to judge them?

herself an escaped slave --- is it souding like an absolute phrase? what about the other two?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

hello Teachers:D

kindly have a look here:)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

All my supplicants to the English pandits:)