Results 1 to 4 of 4

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 154
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    hang his coat "from"?

    Eventually the car made its way down towards Brighton Beach, and swung in to the parking lot of a small office building, and a brawny figure climbed out, tugging the collar of his old jacket up to protect him from the cold before he slipped inside the building through the unlocked front door.

    He hung his coat from a rack by the door – a rack that was already spilling over – and walked down to a door at the end of the hall. When he opened it, a wrestling ring could be seen in what was obviously a small gymnasium. The low set of bleachers along one wall were crowded with some two dozen people.

    Hi~ Does hang sth from sth exactly means hang sth up on sth (e.g Hang your coat up on the hook?)

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,262
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: hang his coat "from"?

    Quote Originally Posted by redgiant View Post
    Eventually the car made its way down towards Brighton Beach, and swung in to the parking lot of a small office building, and a brawny figure climbed out, tugging the collar of his old jacket up to protect him from the cold before he slipped inside the building through the unlocked front door.

    He hung his coat from a rack by the door – a rack that was already spilling over – and walked down to a door at the end of the hall. When he opened it, a wrestling ring could be seen in what was obviously a small gymnasium. The low set of bleachers along one wall were crowded with some two dozen people.

    Hi~ Does hang sth from sth exactly means hang sth up on sth (e.g Hang your coat up on the hook?)
    Yes, it means the same, but it's unusual to say "He hung something from..."
    It's more common when used this way:
    Fruit hangs from trees.
    The flag was hanging from the flagpole. But you hang the flag on (onto) the flagpole.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: hang his coat "from"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, it means the same, but it's unusual to say "He hung something from..."
    It's more common when used this way:
    Fruit hangs from trees.
    The flag was hanging from the flagpole. But you hang the flag on (onto) the flagpole.
    In the navy in the 19th century, they even hung people from the yard arm.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,262
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: hang his coat "from"?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In the navy in the 19th century, they even hung people from the yard arm.
    That's right, and it's usually said of suicides that "He hanged himself from a tree, or from something..."

Similar Threads

  1. hang of it!
    By blouen in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2007, 05:06
  2. ring off, hang up
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2007, 21:14
  3. hang around/be about
    By san in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-May-2007, 01:05
  4. He was ready to hang up to drop the bomb.
    By Brightsun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Feb-2007, 15:52
  5. ladies'cut off fur coat
    By ripley in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2006, 06:45

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •