• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

ago

Hi

Do I always have to use the simple past when I use the word "ago"?

Can't I say: I've been there some time ago instead of I was there some time ago.

Thanks

Re: ago

Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

Do I always have to use the simple past when I use the word "ago"?

Can't I say: I've been there some time ago instead of I was there some time ago.

Thanks
    No, you can't. "Ago" indicates the exact time of an action, so past simple is used.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    No, you can't. "Ago" indicates the exact time of an action, so past simple is used.
    In my opinion "ago" indicates only that something happened in the past, but you do not know when unless I tell you.

In my opinion "ago" indicates only that something happened in the past, but you do not know when unless I tell you.
    "Ago" is always followed by some time value, a month ago, a year ago, etc. You can't say "It happened ago".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    "Ago" is always followed by some time value, a month ago, a year ago, etc. You can't say "It happened ago".
    Well, I can say: I've been there/I was there some time ago. Do you know when exactly I was/I have been there?

I guess you're right saying that "ago" can only be used with the past simple, but even if I use it, as in the example above, you still do not know when I was somewhere, it was just SOME time ago.

Well, I can say: I've been there/I was there some time ago. Do you know when exactly I was/I have been there?

I guess you're right saying that "ago" can only be used with the past simple, but even if I use it, as in the example above, you still do not know when I was somewhere, it was just SOME time ago.
    "Some time" is also a time interval that separates the moment of speaking from the time when the given past action was performed. Language is more about topology than Euclidean geometry.