• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

some confusing expressions

Could you please explain the following in bold in easy English? Italics are my questions.

Despite her melancholy countenance, I enthusiastically approached the registration desk, and the following exchange took place.

Zig: "Good morning, how ya doin'?" Night Clerk: "Oh, I suppose I'll make it." Is this saying "I'll get better"?
    Zig: "I bet you not only make it, I bet you are going to win!" I'm not sure what this means in this context.
    Night Clerk: "Well, you certainly feel good though it's so late!"
    Zig: "Yes, I do. When I woke up this morning, I knew I was ahead of of the game, because some people did not wake up this morning." (She almost smiled at that.) Does this mean "I have more possibility of succeeding than some people, because I got up earlier than they?"
    Night Clerk: "Well, I suppose that's the best way to look at it." This seems to say "that's very optimistic way of looking things," but I'm not sure.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Re: some confusing expressions

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Could you please explain the following in bold in easy English? Italics are my questions.

Despite her melancholy countenance, I enthusiastically approached the registration desk, and the following exchange took place.

Zig: "Good morning, how ya doin'?" Night Clerk: "Oh, I suppose I'll make it." I will survive
    Zig: "I bet you not only make it, I bet you are going to win!" He is betting that she will most certainly make it= survive, go on living.( this is , of course, a word game, not to be taken literally)
    Night Clerk: "Well, you certainly feel good though it's so late!"
    Zig: "Yes, I do. When I woke up this morning, I knew I was ahead of of the game, because some people did not wake up this morning." (She almost smiled at that.) To be ahead of the game: to be better off than others, meaning here= he is alive and other's haven't even made it through the night. Night Clerk: "Well, I suppose that's the best way to look at it." This seems to say "that's very optimistic way of looking things,"

Thank you.
    I am sure this can be explained way better ...