Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    ease off/wear off

    Hi

    Can I say that my: stomach ache has eased off OR worn off?

    Thanks

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: ease off/wear off

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

    Can I say that my: stomach ache has eased off OR worn off?

    Thanks
    eased off means it has become less, but not disappeared.
    worn off is not usually used for pain. If you'd taken some medicine for it, and the pain had come back, you'd say the medicine had worn off.
    The common term is: the pain has gone away.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: ease off/wear off

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    eased off means it has become less, but not disappeared.
    worn off is not usually used for pain. If you'd taken some medicine for it, and the pain had come back, you'd say the medicine had worn off.
    The common term is: the pain has gone away.
    I see so "worn off" means that the medicine is not working as well as at the beginning, its effects are weaker.

    How about: my head ache has eased up

    Thanks

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: ease off/wear off

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    I see so "worn off" means that the medicine is not working as well as at the beginning, its effects are weaker.

    How about: my head ache has eased up

    Thanks
    yes, and yes, although headache is one word, probably because it's so common.

Similar Threads

  1. grammar and at ease
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2008, 10:01
  2. Finish your work at your ease.
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2008, 11:26
  3. I have butterflies in my stomach/I feel ill at ease.
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Dec-2007, 07:08
  4. effortless ease, tons
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-Apr-2007, 16:34
  5. Ease Up!
    By namsteven in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2007, 11:30

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •