• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

"The Longshots"

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to interpret the term “longshot” noted of me by reading a brief Film Review.

"The Longshots" is a treat -- humane, humorous, inspiring and well acted. It's based in part on the story of a gifted girl quarterback, Jasmine Plummer, from small-town Illinois, who played in the Pop Warner youth football league.

I know that “using dictionary entries without considering the full context and background to the text can lead to confusion” but would you be kind totell me whether I have to sho the whole film od to read the complete review in order to interpret the mwaning of the term in question?

There is a large selection conserning the interpretation of the film’s title.

I know at least three different mening of the term in bold:

1. A photograph taken from a distance

2. A venture that involves great risk but promises great rewards

3. A contestant that is unlikely to win

What is your choice?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Smile Re: "The Longshots"

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to interpret the term “longshot” noted of me by reading a brief Film Review.

"The Longshots" is a treat -- humane, humorous, inspiring and well acted. It's based in part on the story of a gifted girl quarterback, Jasmine Plummer, from small-town Illinois, who played in the Pop Warner youth football league.

I know that “using dictionary entries without considering the full context and background to the text can lead to confusion” but would you be kind totell me whether I have to sho the whole film od to read the complete review in order to interpret the mwaning of the term in question?

There is a large selection conserning the interpretation of the film’s title.

I know at least three different mening of the term in bold:

1. A photograph taken from a distance

2. A venture that involves great risk but promises great rewards

3. A contestant that is unlikely to win

What is your choice?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Hi, Vil!

"A contestant that is unlikely to win" is your best choice. Since the female quarterback (Jasmine) is playing for a losing team, conventional wisdom expects the team to continue to do poorly in the league.

Here is another review that will highlight Jasmine's role as a "longshot".

The Harvey Colts used to be one of the strongest teams in the Pop Warner league, but lately things have taken a turn for the worst. Recognizing that his old team needs some fresh blood in order to make a comeback, a former player trains his 11-year-old niece Jasmine to throw the ball like a true gridiron giant. While the powers that be scoff at the idea of a female quarterback, they soon begin to sing a different tune as Jasmine leads the Harvey Colts to the championships and an invigorating shot at redemption.

Because the title of the film is "The Longshots", we can assume that the other members of the team, as well as the coach, are all considered to be contestants who are unlikely to win.

Enjoy the film!

Cheers,
    Amigo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: "The Longshots"

Hi amigos4,

Thank you for your mgnificent explanation as well as for you further information.

There is a synonym of the term in question in my native language namely “outsider” similar as English term “outsider” =

a contestant (human or animal) not considered to have a good chance to win.

Thank you again for your kindness.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Smile Re: "The Longshots"

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi amigos4,

Thank you for your mgnificent explanation as well as for you further information.

There is a synonym of the term in question in my native language namely “outsider” similar as English term “outsider” =

a contestant (human or animal) not considered to have a good chance to win.

Thank you again for your kindness.

Regards,

V.
    Hi, Vil!

Just a quick comment on the term 'outsider'. In the US, an 'outsider' is an individual who is not part of the group or organization. It seldom has anything to do with being a contestant. If used in a sentence, further explanation would be needed: "In politics, John is an outsider; he is not affiliated with any official party or group."

The word 'longshot' is more specific and clearly understood to mean an individual who is not expected to do well in a contest or challenge. "John is a longshot to make the team." (Context is clear)

"John is an outsider; he is a longshot to win the election." (Context needs further explanation of 'outsider')

Cheers,
    Amigo