book credit

Hi,

What is the "book credit" ?

Thanks for your help.

Jack: Hey, Kate, are you doing anything on Monday afternoon?
    Kate: I usually either go to the lab or go home after I get out of class. Why?
    J: Well,we're having our annual book sale at the library, and we need extra cashiers.
    K: When is the sale?
    J: All day Monday, from ten until five. If you're free in the afternoon, why not volunteer to help us out? The library will give you ten dollars in book credit for every hour you work. You have to use the credit at this sale, but that will get you a lot of books. Most are priced around one or two dollars.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Smile Re: book credit

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi,

What is the "book credit" ?

Thanks for your help.

Jack: Hey, Kate, are you doing anything on Monday afternoon?
    Kate: I usually either go to the lab or go home after I get out of class. Why?
    J: Well,we're having our annual book sale at the library, and we need extra cashiers.
    K: When is the sale?
    J: All day Monday, from ten until five. If you're free in the afternoon, why not volunteer to help us out? The library will give you ten dollars in book credit for every hour you work. You have to use the credit at this sale, but that will get you a lot of books. Most are priced around one or two dollars.
    Hi, Xin!

If Kate volunteers to work at the annual book sale, she will not receive real money as payment. She will be given 'book credit' which she can use to purchase books at the sale. Think of a 'book credit' as a gift certificate to KFC. The gift certificate is only good for purchases at KFC... it cannot be used at other restaurants. The 'book credits' Kate receives will only be valid for purchases made at the annual book sale....they cannot be used at any other book sale.

Cheers,
    Amigo

Re: book credit

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, Xin!

If Kate volunteers to work at the annual book sale, she will not receive real money as payment. She will be given 'book credit' which she can use to purchase books at the sale. Think of a 'book credit' as a gift certificate to KFC. The gift certificate is only good for purchases at KFC... it cannot be used at other restaurants. The 'book credits' Kate receives will only be valid for purchases made at the annual book sale....they cannot be used at any other book sale.

Cheers,
    Amigo
    Hello, amigos4,

Thanks for your reply.

So I am just wondering what the "book credit" looks like. Is it something like credit card, or just a piece of paper (we always get it at KFC) ?

Probably a pro forma piece of paper stating how much books credit she has earned.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Smile Re: book credit

Hello, amigos4,

Thanks for your reply.

So I am just wondering what the "book credit" looks like. Is it something like credit card, or just a piece of paper (we always get it at KFC) ?
    Hi, Xin!

Because Kate is volunteering to help at the book sale my guess is that the 'book credit' will not be a fancy looking piece of paper (certainly not as deliciously fancy as a KFC gift certificate ). In all probability, Jack will total the number of hours Kate volunteered and then simply tell the cashier that Kate has XX credits to use to buy books. With the book prices set at 1-2 dollars per book, I doubt there will be much concern about how many books Kate can actually purchase!

Cheers,
    Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, Xin!

Because Kate is volunteering to help at the book sale my guess is that the 'book credit' will not be a fancy looking piece of paper (certainly not as deliciously fancy as a KFC gift certificate ). In all probability, Jack will total the number of hours Kate volunteered and then simply tell the cashier that Kate has XX credits to use to buy books.(Hi, amigo4, I have a question about the word, "credits" in this sentence, does it mean the money? I look it up in the dictionary, but I am not sure about it) With the book prices set at 1-2 dollars per book, I doubt there will be much concern about how many books Kate can actually purchase!

Cheers,
    Amigo
    Have you seen Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony? (The answer would be definitely yes.)

I like Shawn Johnson, American gymnast. She is so popular in China right now! It is real strange, but it is the truth that a lot Chinese have a soft spot for her, and we have no idea why. We even hope she would like to live in Beijing for good.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Have you seen Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony? (The answer would be definitely yes.)

I like Shawn Johnson, American gymnast. She is so popular in China right now! It is real strange, but it is the truth that a lot Chinese have a soft spot for her, and we have no idea why. We even hope she would like to live in Beijing for good.
    Yes, Xin! In this instance, 'credits' would be used as money.

Yes! The Beijing Olympics were spectacular! Were you one of those fantastic drummers in the Opening Ceremony? I thought I recognized you!!!

Shawn Johnson was a superstar in the Olympics! I can understand why she is still so popular in China! Her constant smile and positive attitude are infectious! She was a delight to watch!