• Post Thanks / Like

meaning

Hi,

could you please help me with the meaning of the following sentence:

Within the framework of the Contractor's all risks insurance and the fire/shell insurance policy, insurance cover shall be provided in the amount of the entire of assignment sum including any eventual subsequent assignment to the inclusion, more particularly, of the builders-owner risk and as the architect’s/engineer’s risk with and own-risk deductible in the Contractor's all risk insurance policy of € […] per claim case.

1) What does fire/shell insurance mean?
    2) Does assignment mean work?
    3) Could you please explain the meaning of the part of the sentence beginning with "to the inclusion"? What does "to the inclusion" mean? What does the part of the sentence beginning with "as ..." refer to?

Thanks a lot!

Hanka

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: meaning

Hi Hanka

I regularly have to interpret such contractual "legalese" (definition in Answers.com) into "plainspeak" and am struggling to translate for you.

What you need is to talk to one of your local insurance agents who, I would hope, would be able to translate your localised use of the terms concerned.

Best regards
    NT

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi,

could you please help me with the meaning of the following sentence:

Within the framework of the Contractor's all-risks insurance and the fire/shell insurance policy, insurance cover shall be provided in the amount of the entire entirety of the assignment sum including any eventual subsequent assignment to the inclusion, more particularly,[It is unwise to include this - it could lead to problems if something goes wrong. I would omit it.] of the builders-owner risk [ Builder-owner's risk or Builders/owners risk??] and as the architect’s/engineer’s risk-with and own-risk insurances [are/will be] deductible from the Contractor's all-risk insurance policy of € […] per claim case.

1) What does fire/shell insurance mean? see your later post for this.
    2) Does assignment mean work? I suspect it refers to the moneys assigned for this purpose.
    3) Could you please explain the meaning of the part of the sentence beginning with "to the inclusion"? What does "to the inclusion" mean? What does the part of the sentence beginning with "as ..." refer to? I've rephrased it to what I think it means. It still doesn't make good sense, and you may have to break it into smaller sections.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka

• Post Thanks / Like

And "to the inclusion" should mean "including" here?

• Post Thanks / Like

I think it means "to the inclusion":

the amount of the entirety of the assignment sum including any eventual subsequent assignment to the inclusionof the builders-owner risk

It really is most confusingly worded. I would suggest that you set out the aims of the paragraph step by step and see if you can come up with a more logical phrasing.

• Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I am not sure what "to the inclusion of" really means

• Post Thanks / Like

As I interpret the paragraph, it is referring to the inclusion of the builders/owners insurance within the Contractor's insurances.