Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2003
    • Posts: 283
    #1
    My teacher told me sharp can be both an adjective and a verb.
    She gave me two exalmples :"a sharp knife"
    and "sharp a knife".

    Can we say sharp a knife in the same sense as in "a sharp knife"?
    I looked up the dictionary and didn't find the verb sharp in that sense.

  1. Neillythere's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 537
    #2

    Re: How should we use "sharp" as a verb

    Hi AUTOMOON

    As a Brit, but not a teacher, I would advise that the verb that your friend is referring to is "sharpen".

    You don't "sharp a knife". You "sharpen a knife".

    Hope this helps

    Regards
    NT

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: How should we use "sharp" as a verb

    Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMOON View Post
    My teacher told me sharp can be both an adjective and a verb.
    She gave me two exalmples :"a sharp knife"
    and "sharp a knife".

    Can we say sharp a knife in the same sense as in "a sharp knife"?
    I looked up the dictionary and didn't find the verb sharp in that sense.
    Hi,
    "sharp" is not used as a verb.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2003
    • Posts: 283
    #4

    Re: How should we use "sharp" as a verb

    Quote Originally Posted by Neillythere View Post
    Hi AUTOMOON

    As a Brit, but not a teacher, I would advise that the verb that your friend is referring to is "sharpen".

    You don't "sharp a knife". You "sharpen a knife".

    Hope this helps

    Regards
    NT
    Thanks.
    I discussed with the teacher after the class about the use of "sharp".
    She told me British people would prefer "sharpen a knife",but Americans would possibly prefer "sharp a knife".
    Was she right?


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #5

    Re: How should we use "sharp" as a verb

    Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMOON View Post
    Thanks.
    I discussed with the teacher after the class about the use of "sharp".
    She told me British people would prefer "sharpen a knife",but Americans would possibly prefer "sharp a knife".
    Was she right?

    You need to ask her for her sources. It does not turn up in the American National Corpus.

    There is a collocation "too sharp a knife" - a knife which is overly sharp.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: How should we use "sharp" as a verb

    Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMOON View Post
    Thanks.
    I discussed with the teacher after the class about the use of "sharp".
    She told me British people would prefer "sharpen a knife",but Americans would possibly prefer "sharp a knife".
    Was she right?
    That sounds like a face-saving device to me.
    Quite a good one, I'll admit!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2003
    • Posts: 283
    #7

    Re: How should we use "sharp" as a verb

    I can't catch what you mean, Raymott.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: How should we use "sharp" as a verb

    Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMOON View Post
    I can't catch what you mean, Raymott.
    A face-saving device is a reply that one gives, for example if one has been wrong about something, to deflect embarrassment, to "save face".
    For example, if you prove me wrong in that other thread, rather then admit that I was wrong, I could claim that I didn't understand part of your post.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Aug 2003
    • Posts: 283
    #9

    Re: How should we use "sharp" as a verb

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    A face-saving device is a reply that one gives, for example if one has been wrong about something, to deflect embarrassment, to "save face".
    For example, if you prove me wrong in that other thread, rather then admit that I was wrong, I could claim that I didn't understand part of your post.
    You meant my teacher was using a face-saving device bye stating "British people...Americans...."?
    It seems clear that she is incorrect.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] can u please tell me if its auxiliary verb or main verb?
    By asimrj in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2009, 16:32
  2. Usage Of "does"
    By crool in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2007, 16:56
  3. Verb or be plus adjective
    By krishna_ab in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2006, 14:18
  4. verbs
    By eyescold_07 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Aug-2005, 06:32
  5. noun phrases
    By sting in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 21:52

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •