• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

forfeit / died out / sigh

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to interpret the terms in bold from the following brief excerpt of a Konrad’s tale?

"I am ready to go," she said very low. "I have forfeited everything . . . to learn . . . to learn . . ."Her chin fell on her breast; her voice died out in a sigh. He made a slight gesture of impatient assent. forfeit (v) = to suffer the loss of, as in “forfreit o’s honour”

forfeit = sacrifice as in, “to forfeit one’s life

die out (v) = die away, down = sink, as in “her voice sank to a whisper”

sigh (n) = a low, indistinct, and often continuous sound

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the usage of diferrent prepositions in the following both examples? "to sigh with relief”, “to sigh for grief”

Would you express your opinion about the following expression? “to give a sigh”, “to heave a sigh” and “to sigh a long sigh”

Thank you for your efforts.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: forfeit / died out / sigh

(not a teacher, but a native speaker)

The woman speaking could have said "I have given up everything" (perhaps she had left her home, or her family, or a possible career).

Her voice "died out in a sigh" means that her words got quieter and faded away, ending with a heavy breath (a sigh)

To sigh with relief is what you do when something bad misses you. Say you didn't study and you didn't get an F on your test, but passed it. You might breath out a sigh of relief. Like saying Whew!

To sigh for grief would be more the small noise you might make upon returning home from school to find out that your puppy had died.

Sighs are kind of what you do when you breath out and make noise at the same time like ahhh, or ohhhhh, or they can just be loud air.

To give a sigh would be a small sigh, often in frustration like when your mom says you have to go to bed early.

To heave a sigh would be a sign with much more feeling, usually a heavy feeling of sadness, like when you mom tells you that you're not allowed to go anywhere for two weeks.

To sigh a long sigh would be just to sigh one long sigh -- not a short surprised sigh, like Oh!, but the kind of sigh you might give like the heavy one I mentioned before, only as you realize all of the fun stuff you are really going to miss out on. Your mouth might keep mildly moaning as you think of all those things.