What is the difference between name first and first name?

On this texts, “name first” mean:
    A – First name
    B – “when the name Firstly occurred” (when the name occurred for the first time)

Steve Harris starts talking first about the inspiration behind calling the band 'Iron Maiden':
    "Did you ever see the film 'The Man In The Iron Mask'?" He asks. "Well I saw it on television and that's when the name first occurred to me.

"I chose the name Langdon for a combination of reasons,” said Dan Brown, DaVinci Code author. “The name first occurred to me as a tribute to one of my favorite artists, John Langdon, who not entirely coincidentally is a passionate art-lover and a teacher like Robert Langdon."

“So, what’s in the football? Well, the day that the name first occurred to me, I was clutching the bag particularly tightly, mostly because it was so full of drugs.”

The Longest band Name in band name List History” – “Poignant Nuggets of Urban Longing" from a couple days ago was supposed to be "POETIC Nuggets of Urban Longing", but I committed it to memory incorrectly when the name first occurred to me. I'd better be careful or I will reveal the incredible mnemonic technique of my Amazing Memory System ™ without getting your four easy payments of $79.95 first!

"I think the name first occurred to me while I was working as a book shelver. There is a cheesy romance-looking book called "send me no flowers' by katherine arthur. By the way, there is also a movie with Rock Hudson by the same name. Also i think it is a song...”

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: What is the difference between name first and first name?

In those contexts, "first" is an adverb; in "first name" it is an adjective.

b

Thanks, BobK!

So, In those contexts "FIRST" = "FIRSTLY" !?

Steve Harris starts talking first about the inspiration behind calling the band 'Iron Maiden':
    "Did you ever see the film 'The Man In The Iron Mask'?" He asks. "Well I saw it on television and that's when the name first occurred to me.

"Did you ever see the film 'The Man In The Iron Mask'?" He asks. "Well I saw it on television and that's when the name FIRSTLY occurred to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo_Doutrinador View Post
    Thanks, BobK!

So, In those contexts "FIRST" = "FIRSTLY" !?

"Did you ever see the film 'The Man In The Iron Mask'?" He asks. "Well I saw it on television and that's when the name FIRSTLY occurred to me.
    "First" is a 'bare adverb' here. It means 'for the first time/originally'. Read more here Lessard, Nathalie,: The Meaning of the English Adverbial Suffix-ly especially this: "Interestingly, in a good number of adverbial pairs, the -ly adverb and the bare adverb are not interchangeable'.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The OP asked the wrong question.
    when the name first occurred to me = when the name first came to my attention; the first time I thought of it (the name); the first time I can remember noticing it (the name)
    The phrase "name first" means nothing by itself.