• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile unjustified sense of entitlement?

With his one good eye on events the other side of the Atlantic, Gordon Brown has decided to share his personal 'story' with us.

He has convinced himself that if he reminds us about his rugby injury and his dead daughter, we'll forget about his incompetence, deceit, duplicity, dishonesty, downright lying, bullying, cowardice, volcanic temper tantrums, vanity, sulking, unjustified sense of entitlement, betrayal, bungling and boasting.
    Hi!

The paragraph I quoted is an excerpt from an article by a columnist in Daily Mail.

What does "unjustified sense of entitlement" refer to? I understood every word but not the phrase.

Thanks!

PS: I don't know Gordon Brown about his policies and capacity much. But I think the remark is getting personal. I don't think such a comment will really grace the article even if I really hate Brown like poison. Why does the editor allow it if you know?

I am Chinese, maybe what I think is different from that of you native speakers', especially Britons'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: unjustified sense of entitlement?

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    Hi!

The paragraph I quoted is an excerpt from an article by a columnist in Daily Mail.

What does "unjustified sense of entitlement" refer to? I understood every word but not the phrase.

Thanks!

PS: I don't know Gordon Brown about his policies and capacity much. But I think the remark is getting personal. I don't think such a comment will really grace the article even if I really hate Brown like poison. Why does the editor allow it if you know?

I am Chinese, maybe what I think is different from that of you native speakers', especially Britons'.
    The West has a free press. Unless you tell untruths about someone, you can generally say what you like about them If Mr. Brown wanted to sue the newspaper for libel, he'd have to prove that they were lying about him, that is, he'd have to prove that the following did not apply to him:incompetence, deceit, duplicity, dishonesty, downright lying, bullying, cowardice, volcanic temper tantrums, vanity, sulking, unjustified sense of entitlement, betrayal, bungling and boasting.
    That might be hard to prove in court, especially if it's all true.

"a sense of entitlement" means feeling that you're special in some way, such that you're entitled to get something (such as the Prime Ministership) that others don't have, simply because of who you are.

In the "free world" we're allowed to criticise the government as much as we want.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Re: unjustified sense of entitlement?

Hi Raymott,

Thank you for your answer.