• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

expletive / by slipping sleeping pills

Der teachers,

There is a brief excerpt from an entertainment news.

The elder Spears alleges in "Through the Storm: A Real Story of Fame and Family in a Tabloid World" that the singer's former manager, Sam Lufti, threatened her daughter several days after the "Toxic" star's visit to a psychiatric ward in January, the New York Post reported Sunday.

"If you try to get rid of me, she'll be dead and I'll (expletive) on her grave," Spears quotes Lufti as saying.

"Tabloid World" also includes allegations that Lufti would keep Spears drugged by slipping sleeping pills into the pop star's food and drink prior to the January stay.

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the nature of the parenthetical word “expletive”? Would you also be kind to tell me whether the expression “by slipping sleeping pills” is a pun in accordance with your concept?

In my opinion “expletive” in the present case is a missing word or phrase which was said but it wasn’t written in the present article in order to avoid the use of an objectionable language which is distinguished for its profane, vulgar, or obscene sounding.

Thank you for your effots.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: expletive / by slipping sleeping pills

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Der teachers,

There is a brief excerpt from an entertainment news.

The elder Spears alleges in "Through the Storm: A Real Story of Fame and Family in a Tabloid World" that the singer's former manager, Sam Lufti, threatened her daughter several days after the "Toxic" star's visit to a psychiatric ward in January, the New York Post reported Sunday.

"If you try to get rid of me, she'll be dead and I'll (expletive) on her grave," Spears quotes Lufti as saying.

"Tabloid World" also includes allegations that Lufti would keep Spears drugged by slipping sleeping pills into the pop star's food and drink prior to the January stay.

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the nature of the parenthetical word “expletive”? Would you also be kind to tell me whether the expression “by slipping sleeping pills” is a pun in accordance with your concept?

In my opinion “expletive” in the present case is a missing word or phrase which was said but it wasn’t written in the present article in order to avoid the use of an objectionable language which is distinguished for its profane, vulgar, or obscene sounding.

Thank you for your effots.

Regards,

V.
    Yes, that's what "expletive" means here. I don't know what the lady said, but it was probably "shit" or something similar.
    slipping sleeping pills is a very lame pun, IMO, and Anglika would be justified in claiming it wasn't one. It still doesn't have that necessary edge to it. I must say your sense of humour is rather elusive, Vil, at least in writing, but feel free to play again!

Re: expletive / by slipping sleeping pills

Hi V.

You're right about the expetive. A word such as 'spit' or 'piss' has been removed from the sentence.

'Slipping sleeping pills' isn't a pun.

We can use 'slip' to mean 'doing something without another person knowing that we are doing it'.

He slipped him a sleeping pill. (he put a sleeping pill in his drink when he wasn't looking)

She slipped out of the house. (she left the house quietly, so her parents wouldn't know she had left)

He slipped into the meeting and took a seat at the back of the room. (he was late, so he came in very quietly to avoid disturbing anyone)

Hope this helps.

Brian

COMICS for English students and teachers: www.grammarmancomic.com