exert

Hi,

I have a question about the word "exert" in this context. I look it up in the dictionary that "exert" means to use power, etc. to affect sth. But I still do not get this sentence in red color. A pigment should not use a harmful chemical reaction to affect what ? I do not get it !

Thanks for your help.

Professor: ...When a pigment is mixed or ground it in a liquid vehicle to form paint, it does not dissolve but remains suspended in the liquid. A paint pigment should be a smooth, finely divided powder. It should withstand the action of sunlight without changing color. A pigment should not exert a harmful chemical reaction upon the medium, or upon other color pigments it is mixed with.

Re: exert

Don't get too hung up on the word use.

The word affect is better.

A pigment should not affect the medium, or other color pigments with a harmful chemical reaction.

Take, for instance, physical exercise - you could describe the exertion process as using power/energy/calories - as to exert oneself in such a manner one requires fuel, and therefore the use of something. But here the pigment is performing more of an influencing role, causing something to happen.

I am not a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    Don't get too hung up on the word use.

The word affect is better.

I am not a teacher.
    Hi, colloquium,

Thanks for your reply. I get it.

Then I do have a question about this word "medium" in this context. What does it mean here? It means artist's materials?

A pigment should not exert a harmful chemical reaction upon the medium, or upon other color pigments it is mixed with.

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi, colloquium,

Thanks for your reply. I get it.

Then I do have a question about this word "medium" in this context. What does it mean here? It means artist's materials?

A pigment should not exert a harmful chemical reaction upon the medium, or upon other color pigments it is mixed with.
    Yes - medium (when used as an Art term) describes the materials and/or techniques used by the artist. It's quite a general term.

In this case, I assume it is referring to a canvas or something else which paint/pigment is normally applied to (wood, paper, etc).