• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

'drive by', 'pass by', 'go by'

I go by there every now and then just to see what it look like.

hi,

is "go by" in this sentence the same as "drive by" and "pass by"?

how about the following sentences, please?

I am going to the party but before that I need to drive by home to pick up a thing I have forgotten.

I saw you driving by at the mall last week.

I saw you driving by Dunda St. last week.

can I use "pass by" instead of "drive by"?

how would a native say it, please?

thanks.

Re: 'drive by', 'pass by', 'go by'

Not a teacher! I can help you with how a native speaker would say these phrases, though.

"Go by" can be the same thing as pass or drive by. In the case of "drive by," you are being more specific as to the manner in which you are "going by," but it means the same thing. Something I say a lot, which means the same thing as "pass/go by", is "swing by."

"I am going to the party but before that I need to drive by home to pick up a thing I have forgotten."

I would say, "I am going to the party, but first I need to drive/go/swing by my house to pick up something I forgot."

"I saw you driving by at the mall last week."

"I saw you drive by at the mall last week." In this case, since you are referring specifically to driving, you can only use "drive by."

"I saw you driving by Dunda St. last week."

Could be either "drive by" or "driving by. If they were actually on Dunada St., I might say, "I saw you driving up Dunada St. last week." If they crossed Dunada St., I might say, "I saw you drive past Dunada St. last week." That's how we say it here in Cali., anyway.

Again, I am not a teacher. I am, however, an expert on speaking English to other native speakers. I also have lots of experience with non-native speakers since Los Angeles is extremely diverse. When speaking, I actually use contractions a lot. If you see me write something like "you are" or "I am," I will speak them like "you're" and "I'm." If that helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Quote Originally Posted by thedeebo View Post
    Not a teacher! I can help you with how a native speaker would say these phrases, though.

"Go by" can be the same thing as pass or drive by. In the case of "drive by," you are being more specific as to the manner in which you are "going by," but it means the same thing. Something I say a lot, which means the same thing as "pass/go by", is "swing by."

"I am going to the party but before that I need to drive by home to pick up a thing I have forgotten."

I would say, "I am going to the party, but first I need to drive/go/swing by my house to pick up something I forgot."

"I saw you driving by at the mall last week."

"I saw you drive by at the mall last week." In this case, since you are referring specifically to driving, you can only use "drive by."

"I saw you driving by
    Dunda
    St. last week."

Could be either "drive by" or "driving by. If they were actually on Dunada St., I might say, "I saw you driving up Dunada St. last week." If they crossed Dunada St., I might say, "I saw you drive past Dunada St. last week." That's how we say it here in Cali., anyway.

Again, I am not a teacher. I am, however, an expert on speaking English to other native speakers. I also have lots of experience with non-native speakers since Los Angeles is extremely diverse. When speaking, I actually use contractions a lot. If you see me write something like "you are" or "I am," I will speak them like "you're" and "I'm." If that helps.
    Thanks a lot.

Your answer took me to a few more doubts.

1) You chose to say "but first I need to ... by my house to pick up something I forgot" instead of "but before that I need to ... by home to pick up a thing I have forgotten". Could you please let me know why to use this way instead of the other way?

2) In "I saw you drive by at the mall last week." Is it really correct to use "at"?

Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to explain myself better.

1) I just reworded it to sound more like how I would write it or speak it myself. What I wrote is basically how people here would say the same thing. For example, your original sentence would be understood by anyone you say it to. They would, however, know that you are a foreigner because of your word choice. I don't imagine it is easy to understand why natives choose the words they do, if everything means basically the same thing.

2) When I say "at" I mean "while I was at." I left it out without knowing, because that is how I would speak it out loud. I think that native speakers try to reduce the amount of words they have to say when they are speaking to make it easier to communicate. If I were to speak the last sentence to a friend, it would sound like:

"We think it's easier to say less to get the same point across."

I said fewer words, but it means the same general thing.

I hope I helped. If not, then please let me know!