• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Post training montage, workout soundtrack

In the sentence below, what do the words in bold mean?

Pick the right workout soundtrack, and you can pretend you're in a training montage in a one of those movies featuring fit people competing for various prizes.

Re: training montage, workout soundtrack

Without full context:

workout = what you do in a gym; soundtrack = sound attached to a film >> workout soundtrack = some form of dialogue or music or narration related to a workout.

training montage = a whole lot of short pieces put together as part of an instructional film for training.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Post Re: training montage, workout soundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Without full context:
    I have received this sentence by email from About.Com.

What's on Your Workout Playlist?
    Pick the right workout soundtrack, and you can pretend you're in a training montage in a one of those movies featuring fit people competing for various prizes.

They are promoting music tracks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

I'm not a teacher.

Hi dilermando,

I prefer to call a spade a spade. There are a few words concerning the matter in question.

workout = physical exercise

Physical exercise is manual activity that develops or maintains physical fitness and overall health.

One thing I've noticed about working-out on cardio machines is that they can be very, very boring. Music is one thing that gets me through and I like to put my favorite workout songs about halfway through my routine to give me that extra kick I need to keep going.

So help me out by telling me all about your favorite exercise songs...rock, pop, alternative, country or even your favorite audiobooks to listen to.

A montage sequence is a technique in film editing in which a series of short shots is edited into a sequence to condense narrative. It is usually used to advance the story as a whole (often to suggest the passage of time), rather than to create symbolic meaning as it does in Soviet montage theory. In many cases, a song plays in the background to enhance the mood or reinforce the message being conveyed.

The sports training montage is a standard explanatory montage. It originated in American cinema but has since spread to modern martial arts films from East Asia. Originally depicting a character engaging in physical or sports training, the form has been extended to other activities or themes.

One of the most well-known examples is the training sequence in the 1976 movie Rocky[1], which culminates in Rocky's run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=training+montage&gwp=13

fit (a) = 1. Suited, adapted, or acceptable for a given circumstance or purpose: not a fit time for flippancy.
    2. Appropriate; proper: Do as you see fit.
    3. Physically sound; healthy: keeps fit with diet and exercise.

Regards,

V.