• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

which words to use?

hi,

suppose a big store is attempting to increase its sales. they offer a brand new car for the customer that makes a purchase bigger that CA$100.00. the customer also must fill out a form and hand it out to the manager in order to be eligible to the car.
    the car will be given to the customer whose form is randomly selected at the date of the prize delivery.

1) I would like to know what are the correct words/expressions to use instead of the underlined text, please.

2) also, what's the customer doing when he/she makes a purchase, fill out the form for the brand new car and keeps waiting for the big day? he/she is "running" for a prize? "competing" for a prize?

thanks a lot.

Re: which words to use?

suppose a big store is attempting to increase its sales. they offer a brand new car for the customer that makes a purchase bigger that CA$100.00. the customer also must fill out a form and hand it out to the manager in order to be eligible to the car.
    the car will be given to the customer whose form is randomly selected
    on the date of the prize draw.

1) I would like to know what are the correct words/expressions to use instead of the underlined text, please.

Randomly selected is fine (whose form is selected at random is a possible alternative/rewording).

However an event where a competition winner is picked is normally called a prize draw. Also, I would use the preposition on, not at.

2) also, what's the customer doing when he/she makes a purchase, fill out the form for the brand new car and keeps waiting for the big day? he/she is "running" for a prize? "competing" for a prize?

She/he is in the running (to win the prize) is an idiom which means having the possibility of winning something.

Competing (for the prize) is more likely to be used when the prize is won through a skill of some sort - not through pure chance/luck.

I would choose in the running.

I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: which words to use?

the car will be given to the customer whose form is randomly selected is chosen from the entries at the date of the prize delivery. at the drawing, to be held Sept. 22, 2008.

2) also, what's the customer doing when he/she makes a purchase, fill out the form for the brand new car and keeps waiting for the big day? he/she is "running" for a prize? "competing" for a prize? Has simply entered a drawing for a free car.

thanks a lot.