• Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

• Post Thanks / Like

how to say about a plane?

hi there,
    what does a plane after it takes off? does it "ascend"? "go up"?
    what does it before landing, please? "descend"? "go down"?
    thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to say about a plane?

I am not sure that there is any specific term. The plane takes off and then flies. You could say it ascends into the sky or goes up into the sky though I haven't heard either used.

Do you have a particular context in which you want to say this?

As to landing, the plane certainly is descending before it lands. The captain or his deputy usually announce that the plane is beginning its descent to the airport.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I am not sure that there is any specific term. The plane takes off and then flies. You could say it ascends into the sky or goes up into the sky though I haven't heard either used.

Do you have a particular context in which you want to say this?

As to landing, the plane certainly is descending before it lands. The captain or his deputy usually announce that the plane is beginning its descent to the airport.
    thanks.

it's a silly doubt that I have but my problem is that there are several ways to express the idea of 'go up' and 'go down' in English and each one of them is used in a specific circumstance.

suppose I was narrating a flight incident and I wanted to say:

"the plane took off normally and 'went up' to 20,000 feet. then, the left engine started to fail and sputter. After a few minutes of terror and lack of control on the craft, the crew managed to 'go down' and performed a successful emergency landing.".

thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Ok

You could say it as ascended to 20,000 feet, or that it reached 20,000 feet, or that it had got to 20,000 feet.

"descend" is the best word for going downwards.

• Post Thanks / Like

Not a teacher, but flying background.

The language of flying has a logic and syntax all its own, much of which has seeped into general use.

Up: You may say "ascended," but it is very formal. In aviation, you would usually say the plane "climbed" to 20,000 feet. As a variant, you might also say "Upon takeoff, the pilot immediately climbed to 20,000 feet." (the pilot controls the flight and attitude of the aircraft, not the aircraft itself)

Down: Paradoxically, the use of "descend" is more common. "The pilot descended to 10,000 feet." This also implies a calm and measured change of height. If you say "The pilot dove to 10,000 feet," you are describing a more rapid manueuver. Another term for altitude change is "let down."

Your example: "the plane took off normally and 'went up' to 20,000 feet. then, the left engine started to fail and sputter. After a few minutes of terror and lack of control on the craft, the crew managed to 'go down' and performed a successful emergency landing."

This could be written as: "The plane took off normally and climbed to 20,000 feet. Then, the port engine began to fail and sputter. After a few minutes of terror and struggle for control, the crew managed to let down and perform a successful emergency landing."
    Last edited by Scallywag; 16-Sep-2008 at 01:36.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

In AmE, after an airplane takes off, it "climbs." The pilot might even announce on the intercom "We're climbing to 15,000 feet at the moment, our cruising altitude will be 30,000 feet."

The plane's descent is referred to as such; usually the pilot will announce "we've begun our descent into XXXX city, we expect to land in 20 minutes."