the imperial purple the Roman prepared...

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could have a look for me at this sentence: the imperial purple the Roman prepared from a shellfish native to the Mediterranean. The first question about this sentence is, does "prepare" in this one mean "make", "put together" ? And second, does this sentence mean: the imperial purple the Roman made from a shellfish, and the shellfish is the native to the Mediterranean. ? Am I getting this one in a correct way?

Thanks for your help.

The professor is talking about pigments.

Professor: Natural inorganic pigments, also known as mineral pigments, include the native "earths" such as ochre - yellow iron oxide - and raw umber - brown iron oxide. Natural organic pigments come from the indigo plant, and Tyrian purple, the imperial purple the Roman prepared from a shellfish native to the Mediterranean.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: the imperial purple the Roman prepared...

does "prepare" in this one mean "make"? Yes And second, does this sentence mean: the imperial purple the Romans made from a shellfish, and the shellfish is native to the Mediterranean. ? Am I getting this one in a correct way?Yes

Tyrian purple: history, chemistry and sources tells you all about Tyrian purple.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Tyrian purple: history, chemistry and sources tells you all about Tyrian purple.

Thank you, Anglika.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Note in particular, in Anglika's link, these words: "With the decline of the Roman Empire, the use of the dye also declined". This explains why the writer used the name 'Imperial purple' (not one of the aliases mentioned in that link). That colour was widely used in the Roman Empire (an empire, centred originally on Rome, that covered much of Europe, and beyond - to the east and south. Start reading more here: Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Note in particular, in Anglika's link, these words: "With the decline of the Roman Empire, the use of the dye also declined". This explains why the writer used the name 'Imperial purple' (not one of the aliases mentioned in that link). That colour was widely used in the Roman Empire (an empire, centred originally on Rome, that covered much of Europe, and beyond - to the east and south. Start reading more here: Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

b
    Thanks, Bobk.

I just got my laptop back from the repair center, so I am sorry for a late reply. I am enjoying it !!!