help correct a sentence

Hello, Teachers.

Do you think the following sentence is grammatical?
    The use of interneet is now greater than that of television, radio and other media combined.
    Some dictionaries say that the word 'combined' can be used only before noun.

Can I say The use of internet is now greater than the sum of (OR the sum total of OR the sum of the use of?) television, radio and other media.

Thank you in advance.

Enydia \(^o^)/

Re: help correct a sentence

Combine is a transitive and intransitive verb, therefore it doesn't necessarily need to be followed by an object (a noun or noun phrase).

However there are a few alterations I would make. I have added an article to internet, removed one from the beginning of the subject and added the quantifier all.

U
    se of the internet is now greater than that of television, radio and all other media combined.

I am not a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by colloquium View Post
    Combine is a transitive and intransitive verb, therefore it doesn't necessarily need to be followed by an object (a noun or noun phrase).

However there are a few alterations I would make. I have added an article to internet, removed one from the beginning of the subject and added the quantifier all.

Use of the internet is now greater than that of television, radio and all other media combined.

I am not a teacher.
    Thank you very much, Colloquium. *^@^*

Could you do me a favour again?

1. Could you give me some explanation about the useage of article in that sentence? Why you used 'the' before 'internet' but not 'use'?

2. Could you show me another way to express the same meaning without 'combined'?

Looking forward to your help.

Enydia ~@^_^@~

Internet nearly always takes the article the.

I decided to drop the from the noun use to avoid repetition (the use of the internet...) as I think use is acceptable with or without the article in this sentence.

Examples of use used without an article

• but the girls were only marked on use of persuasive language

• Recipient acknowledges that the conditions for use of this research material are governed by the cell repository Institutional Review Board(IRB) in accordance with Department of Health and Human Services regulations

• Appropriate funding and professional development represent the key means of supporting equitable access and use of technology to ensure technology literacy and to support meaningful learning for all students.
    Another alternative is

The internet is now used more than television, radio and all other media put together.

Maybe someone else can add their opinion on using an article with use.