• Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

provisional or temprary

Hi !
    I am learning the word " provisional".
    And I saw a sentence in the dictionary.
    The sentence is as follows:
    "It was announced the the times were provisional and subject to confirmation."
    I wonder if I can switch the word " provisional" into " temporary"
    because It seems that it means not permenant
    I am a little confused about the use of tentative and temporary.
    Could you enlighten ?
    Thanks for your reply in advance!
    Last edited by WUKEN; 18-Sep-2008 at 16:06.

Re: provisional or temprary

'temporary' means 'lasting for only a limited period of time in the sense that it is not intended to be permanent. So, I might get a temporary job washing dishes in a restaurant while I apply for permanent positions in more highly-paying jobs.
    If a school burns down, they may hastily erect some temporary pre-fabricated hut-like buildings while a new permanent school building is being built.

'provisional' means 'arranged and existing for the present time, but possibly could be changed later... but not necessarily so: the 'provisional' date could be confirmed, and so become definite.
    So - an event might be arranged and a provisional date set. This happens - a 'provisional' date rather than a definite, set date - if they know in advance that there is some possibility that the date may have to be changed. Say, a big movie star is going to appear at this event, and he is shooting a film in Africa just prior to the event. His appearance at the event will depend on whether they have finished shooting the movie or have gone over schedule which then delays the movie star. They may then have to change the date for the event to a later date. At the same time, if nothing does crop up, then the provisional date is confirmed.
    The 'provisional' date is not 'temporary' because they hope that it will be a definite, set date for the event. They are covering themselves because some factor/s could likely cause a change of date...but if these factors do not come into play, then the date is 'confirmed' - becomes definite, set.

So - when they set a provisional date, they intend to go ahead with the event on that day...unless something happens. As soon as they get word that the film will wrap on time and the actor will be able to attend on that day, they then confirm the date.

Another example: people need to be able to plan ahead, so train services publish provisional train timetables far in advance - say, the Summer Timetable is published in early spring. A lot may happen between spring and summer; and the Summer Timetable may depend on whether some new trains they have ordered have arrived by the summer. (Without the extra trains, they may not be able to provide all the services advertised in the provisional timetable.) They want and intend this timetable to be the service they offer...but are aware that some future factor may cause them/for ce them to make changes. So - it is a provisional timetable, as definite as the company can make it - but just in case, they cover themselves by saying it is 'provisional' and subject to change - it will be confirmed closer to summer when they are confident they can provide all the services advertised.

A 'tentative' date, say, for a meeting to be held, is one put forward with far less confidence - it is more a 'suggested possible date' for the meeting. We set a tentative date for the meeting, then contact those involved to see how many can attend on that date. If most people are busy, then the date will have to be changed and another date suggested. If most can attend, then the date is confirmed. We know when we tentatively suggest a date for the meeting that it may well have to change...and may change several times until most people are able to attend on a particular day. This contrasts with 'provisional', because we are confident of the 'provisional' date, but are aware that some factor (as in the actor's film falling behind schedule and the actor being delayed) could affect it and so cause us/force us to have to change the date.
    Last edited by David L.; 18-Sep-2008 at 20:07.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: provisional or temprary

Quote Originally Posted by WUKEN View Post
    Hi !
    I am learning the word " provisional".
    And I saw a sentence in the dictionary.
    The sentence is as follows:
    "It was announced the the times were provisional and subject to confirmation."
    I wonder if I can switch the word " provisional" into " temporary"
    because It seems that it means not permenant
    I am a little confused about the use of tentative and temporary.
    Could you enlighten ?
    Thanks for your reply in advance!
    " provisional" means existence of something under terms not final or fully worked out but in course of time can be made or replaced by something else permanent. Provisional is synonymous with ‘tentative’ So they are interchangeable.
    Examples:
    1. A provisional government runs the country until a permanent govt comes to power.
    2. His appointment is on provisional basis subject to confirmation after one year.
    On the other hand temporarymeans for a short time (or) short while after which some thing else permanent may or may not follow. Examples: His appointment is temporary and terminable after 6 months.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Thanks for your clarifications!
    So is it right if I say
    "I need to make a provisional schedule and then my boss would decide to confirm it or not"
    Thanks a lot!

So is it right if I say
    "I need to make a provisional schedule and then my boss would decide to confirm it or not"

If you are confident that this schedule will work, but just need your boss's OK, then YES, it is provisional; and in your example, it just needs your boss's approval before you can say 'it is definite', 'it is approved' : your schedule is provisional, subject to your boss's approval.

(as opposed to my example, where it is that 'the movie star is free of his commitments finishing the movie' and we know it is not behind schedule, that we can confirm - 'this is the definite date - all systems go.' It is provisional, subject to knowing that the movie star is finished shooting the movie and so can attend on that day.)
    Last edited by David L.; 18-Sep-2008 at 20:34.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Thanks for your explanatory answers!
    So, let me set one more example.
    For example:
    Mary and John are sister and brother and now they are in hardship.
    In this case,
    John often sooths Mary and he says
    " The hardship we are in is temporary .Someday we will be richmen."
    Also, may he say:
    "The hardship we are in is provisional. Someday we will be richmen."
    What I want to express is that hardship just exists for the present time, a short time.
    So are both right?
    Could you check it for me?
    Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by WUKEN View Post
    Thanks for your explanatory answers!
    So, let me set one more example.
    For example:
    Mary and John are sister and brother and now they are in hardship.
    In this case,
    John often sooths Mary and he says
    " The hardship we are in is temporary .Someday we will be richmen."
    Also, may he say:
    "The hardship we are in is provisional. Someday we will be richmen."
    What I want to express is that hardship just exists for the present time, a short time.
    So are both right?
    Could you check it for me?
    Thank you very much!
    No, they are not.
    You'd use "temporary" here. They aren't synonyms.

The speaker is expressing that the ‘hardship’ (= severe suffering/ privation) is what they have to endure for a short while, is ‘temporary’ - he is determined to improve their financial condition so that their state of poverty is not permanent.

Remember, a person/committee/some ‘body’ sets a date for some event, puts out a provisional timetable, puts a ‘provisional government’ in power, with the hope/intention that it will be/should be definite, and only change if some factor or other circumstances force a change, an alteration.

So – for ‘provisional hardship’, it would have the crazy meaning that the speaker has somehow organized their poverty, and hopefully, this WILL BE definite, not change, (and so in this case, it will be a permanent state of hardship)…unless some factor occurs to change it, like, some rotten person goes and takes pity on them and gives them a lot of money and so this ends their hardship! The speaker himself wants and intends their state of hardship to be 'confirmed', that is, not to change!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Thanksfor your clarifications!Now I am clear.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile Re: provisional or temprary

You guys are helpful, especially David L. did a great job. I am clear too. Thank you!