• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

what does it mean?

So, it would appear that Mr. Harper sees nothing wrong with the comments themselves, but is only concerned that they were made publicly. So much for accountability from this government.

hi,
    what does the underlined text mean, please?
    thanks

Re: what does it mean?

I am not a teacher of English.

"So much for" means "enough has been said or done about." Used to point out that you have finished with one thing or are going to take up something else. In your sentense it means that it is enough said about the accountability of the governement; the example given shows a lot.
    From what I hear, usually the "so much for" is used when people want to express dissapointment, lack of credit to someone/something, trust. Say, everybody hopes for some rain in the drought of July. Finally the rain comes to only sprinkle a few drops on the ground. People say in disappointment, "So much for the rain!"
    Or, a father asks his son if he can help with washing a car. The boy starts, then in a minute gets a call on his cell phone, and next it turns out that the boy has to go see his girlfriend. The father sighs, "So much for your help."
    Last edited by NanetteDee; 20-Sep-2008 at 04:27. Reason: typing

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Tuvalu
      • Current Location:
      • Tuvalu

Re: what does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by NanetteDee View Post
    I am not a teacher of English.

"So much for" means "enough has been said or done about." Used to point out that you have finished with one thing or are going to take up something else. In your sentense it means that it is enough said about the accountability of the governement; the example given shows a lot.
    From what I hear, usually the "so much for" is used when people want to express dissapointment, lack of credit to someone/something, trust. Say, everybody hopes for some rain in the drought of July. Finally the rain comes to only sprinkle a few drops on the ground. People say in disappointment, "So much for the rain!"
    Or, a father asks his son if he can help with washing a car. The boy starts, then in a minute gets a call on his cell phone, and next it turns out that the boy has to go see his girlfriend. The father sighs, "So much for your help."

thanks a lot.

the whole sentence is confuse to me.

is "from this government" definitely a good choice? shouldn't it be "of this government"?

you have suggested "enough has been said about the accountability of the government"...

I've already found many grammar mistakes in this specific newspaper before. so, I am a little bit wary about their articles...

using your example as a model, could I say the following, please? "The storm promised to be huge but only a few drops of water hit the ground. So much for nothing, after all."

thanks.
    Last edited by jctgf; 20-Sep-2008 at 18:56.