• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

brag on

Would anyone please explain the following in bold in easy English?

1. Question: Suppose your inspection reveals that the project is either unsatisfactory or not up to the standards you feel that individual is capable of attaining. Do you "brag on him" or "fuss at him"? Answer: Neither.

In the above context, does "brag on" mean "make a compliment"?

2. One technique Den used while he was with our company, which I believe you will find extremely helpful, was to keep a running list of the minute, and sometimes seemingly insignificant, successes of the people who fell under his responsibility.

Re: brag on

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Would anyone please explain the following in bold in easy English?

1. Question: Suppose your inspection reveals that the project is either unsatisfactory or not up to the standards you feel that individual is capable of attaining. Do you "brag on him" or "fuss at him"? Answer: Neither.

In the above context, does "brag on" mean "make a compliment"? It is not a use I have met, and in the context implies quite the opposite to compliment. It seems to be intended as to nag at him.

2. One technique Den used while he was with our company, which I believe you will find extremely helpful, was to keep a running list of the minute, and sometimes seemingly insignificant, successes of the people who fell under his responsibility."minute" = mī nt= extremely small ; a "running list" = a list which is constantly added to.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thank you for the answer.

If "brag on him" is intended to mean "nag at him," isn't it almost the same as "fuss at him?"

Yes [and no] - nagging is more aggressive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Wait a few hours for an American view. There are a few 'verb on' usages that we don't recognize over here.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I've heard "brag on" but it seems very slangy to me. I thought the use I've heard is someone telling of the achievements of someone else, like a girl going on and on about how wonderful her boyfriend is. Maybe it does mean to simply compliment the person.

Whatever it is, it's not proper in a business setting (nor is nag) which is what this passage seems to be about!