• Post Thanks / Like

Wink As/While/When

I am wondering if anybody could help me.
    Let's see my sentences:
    As I walked I listened to music. OR As I was walking I was listening to music. I feel that both sentences are correct. But some language book prefers the first one.
    I learnt that WHILE likes progressive tense but I found a languge book where I foun the following: While she walked, she watched the birds.
    My another problem is in connection with AS/WHEN /WHILE
    When/As I was sitting, she entered the room.- Is it correct?
    As he entered the room, he started to sing. Does it mean that first he enters then he starts singing or the actions happen at the same time.
    Does it mean that in these sentences AS and WHEN have the same meaning or at least the same structure after them?
    Thanks in advance.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: As/While/When

Welcome to the forums,

Quote Originally Posted by Esther71 View Post
    I am wondering if anybody could help me.
    Let's see my sentences:
    As I walked I listened to music. OR As I was walking I was listening to music. I feel that both sentences are correct. But some language book prefers the first one. Both are correct. The book was probably giving an example of use, but that does not preclude other usage.

I learnt that WHILE likes progressive tense but I found a languge book where I foun the following: While she walked, she watched the birds. That is also correct.

My another problem is in connection with AS/WHEN /WHILE
    When/As I was sitting, she entered the room.- Is it correct? Both are possible. The preceding context will govern which one to use.

As he entered the room, he started to sing. Does it mean that first he enters then he starts singing or the actions happen at the same time. The two actions take place at the same time.

Does it mean that in these sentences AS and WHEN have the same meaning or at least the same structure after them?
    Thanks in advance.
    In this particular usage,
    when = at or during the time that
    as = used to indicate simultaneous occurrence