• Thread starter d_artemis_98
  • Start date
  • Views : 52,384
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

d_artemis_98

To whom it may concern:

I would like to know as to what is the difference between the two sentences below.

a. I'm going to Paris this weekend.

b. I'm going to go to Paris this weekend.

Is it just the standard structure: Subject + to be + going to + verb.

Don't both sentences have the same meaning. If not, what is the main difference.

Thanks for anyone's help.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Pre-15th century, 'going to' simply meant 'walking to', 'travelling to' somewhere, as in:
"Are you going to Scarborough Fair?"
This is present continuous tense, with the action starting when I left home, and ending when I arrive at the Fair.
Let's extend the sentence:
"I am going to Scarborough Fair to buy a cow."
This, back then, still simply meant, 'I am travelling to Scarborough Fair and when there, I will buy a cow." - I am travelling somewhere in order to do something.
Take this piece of conversation:
She: Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
He: Yes. I am going to buy a cow.

In this way, the meaning of 'going to' shifted from just meaning 'travelling somewhere in order to do something', to also being a marker signalling a future event: it took on the meaning 'I intend to'.

So - in your sentences:
a. I'm going to Paris this weekend.
b. I'm going to go to Paris this weekend.

...the second sentence has the added emphasis of 'intend to do something/intent on doing something'. It may be that he has thought long and hard about whether he can get away, the cost, getting back in time for work on Monday etc, and finally makes up his mind: "Yes, damn it, I will go. I'm going to go to Paris this weekend."
The first sentence is more 'objective', a statement that 'I am flying to Paris this weekend.'

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I take my hat off to you sir, in all sincerity, your explanations are excellent to the point of being beautiful.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
And to you, Sir, I would remind you, while you may be living in France, to please remember your roots:
No sex please...and none of this soppiness: we are British.

Though, I will add, part of the pleasure of contributing is being in such fine company, with some of the contributions that native speakers are posting, that makes this website so excellent. If my contributions have diminished in number, it's because I have nothing that I could add that would help, with all your postings.

Glad to be aboard. Argonauts - row,row, tow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.