Smile Correcting Broken English

Ok I have a business student who needs a crash course on improving his fluency in english for the oral section of an examination he has to take. He is a Turkish chartered surveyor and speaks broken english. He is relying on me heavily to teach him some sort of fluency in a 2 week period for his RICS exam. Common sense and experience tells me that this is impossible - or is it? Im no Henry Higgins !

Any suggestions for materials or areas I can research so that ı can at least get him up to speed in this area?

This student spent one and a half years in the UK working and still speaks broken english.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: Correcting Broken English

Quote Originally Posted by ironpetal View Post
    Ok I have a business student who needs a crash course on improving his fluency in english for the oral section of an examination he has to take. He is a Turkish chartered surveyor and speaks broken english. He is relying on me heavily to teach him some sort of fluency in a 2 week period for his RICS exam. Common sense and experience tells me that this is impossible - or is it? Im no Henry Higgins !

Any suggestions for materials or areas I can research so that ı can at least get him up to speed in this area?

This student spent one and a half years in the UK working and still speaks broken english.
    In my opinion you should ask him to talk to people more often, to listen to native speakers (using a mp3 player on the bus, in the car, on a train, anywhere, all the time, something really easy to hear and understand effortlessly, then comes the repetition). Someone once told me the biggest truth ever about becoming fluent:
    You do not get fluency with your eyes (by reading textbooks) but with your ears.
    Well, good luck with that! Make him believe it's possible and his dream will come true!
    Last edited by Offroad; 23-Sep-2008 at 12:39.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpetal View Post

How much time do you have to spend with him, making him talk?

I suspect he is still spending a great deal of time with other Turkish speakers. You will have to encourage him to spend the next two weeks reading, speaking, and listening to nothing but English. Also encourage him to have a radio on [quietly] all the time in the background.

He is not likely to become totally fluent in two weeks, but with concentration he ought to improve.

Talking Re: Correcting Broken English

Hi thanks so much for your help.

Yes he has to pull out all the stops and work his backside off for the next two weeks doing everything English if he doesnt do what's suggested then Ive done my best.

Yes, as a Turkish person I can also say that it's almost impossible, but believe me it's not your fault at all, it's the fault of English teaching system in Turkey. They really teach good grammar and writing, but almost no speaking practice. I realised that when I started to live in the UK. You may focus on the common weaknesses of Turkish ESL learnerz, such as we have a difficulty to pronounce the words with "w" and structring the sentence when we speak.

Wink Re: Correcting Broken English

Hello thank you for your useful tips you have just reminded me to look at some stuff I have wıth regard to teaching English to Turks. Im glad its not my fault. Most of the students I teach always say they are desperate to have conversation or speak a while with the teachers after the lessons because they dont get the opportunity to do this most of the time. I can appreciate it must be hard to develop any fluency thats why a lot of them are trying to get into English study courses in the UK because they think this is the answer to their fluency prayers!

The guy has changed his mind again and is not interested in his RICS oral exam he just wants conversation lessons after Bayram so now Im wondering what kind of programme to construct and should I use some of the CAE stuff and put him in for a serious exam or just go and do conversation. This is the problem teaching some Turkish students they always want to run before they can walk and are always changing direction.