• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Life is "ruff"

Hi,

Please help me what "ruff" is. What is a ruff life or what does it really mean to say "Life is ruff".

Thank you,

beeja

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Life is "ruff"

A ruff is a klind of ornate collar, but you're thinking of the word 'rough' (which is pronounced the same): "Life is rough" - it is not easy or gentle. (On the analogy of 'he studied in the School of Modern Languages' people who didn't go to university sometimes say 'I studied in the School of Hard Knocks'.)

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    A ruff is a klind of ornate collar, but you're thinking of the word 'rough' (which is pronounced the same): "Life is rough" - it is not easy or gentle. (On the analogy of 'he studied in the School of Modern Languages' people who didn't go to university sometimes say 'I studied in the School of Hard Knocks'.)

b
    No, it's not "rough", it's "ruff" that's why I'm so headache. Don't know what it really means. There's a movie named "Life is ruff" too and there's also a "ruff life". It sounds it involves with dogs but what kind of life dog has if it's ruff.

I quoted the context for your review: (well, it's assumed that a dog wrote it)

I chased my tail, I ingested things that weren't good for me, and I spent a lot of time in the dog house. Life is "ruff" and barking up the wrong trees instead of using my instincts to reach my goals didn't help. Once I found my "bone", however, success came quickly.

Tks,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    No, it's not "rough", it's "ruff" that's why I'm so headache. Don't know what it really means. There's a movie named "Life is ruff" too and there's also a "ruff life". It sounds it involves with dogs but what kind of life dog has if it's ruff.

I quoted the context for your review: (well, it's assumed that a dog wrote it)

I chased my tail, I ingested things that weren't good for me, and I spent a lot of time in the dog house. Life is "ruff" and barking up the wrong trees instead of using my instincts to reach my goals didn't help. Once I found my "bone", however, success came quickly.

Tks,

It's a pun there, making use of a 'mistake' like the one I thought you were making - but not with the sense of ruff=collar, but "ruff"= 'noise typically made by a dog' - sometimes 'woof', but sometimes 'ruff'.

Incidentally, there are other bits of wordplay in that extract: 'in the dog-house' is an idiom that means 'punished/disapproved of': 'Ever since I forgot my wife's birthday I've been in the dog-house'. (This idiom presumably came from America, as a we don't use the words 'dog-house' to mean 'kennel'; so it would be unusual*, in British English, to speak of a dog as being 'in the dog-house'.)

Another bit of wordplay in that passage is 'barking up the wrong tree'; it's what a dog does when looking for a ball - say - that's stuck in another tree. But it's commonly used to refer to someone who's got the wrong idea (the wrong 'end of the stick').

b

*I have a feeling there's a technical or large-scale or industrial usage; I've heard 'dog-house' used once or twice, but not by a normal householder.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    ..., but "ruff"= 'noise typically made by a dog' - sometimes 'woof', but sometimes 'ruff'.
    so, can we say life is noisy? chaos? wild? or tough/rough? dog needs to fight for survival too, eh?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

b