The elusive semicolon

Why don't we have a section on punctuation? Is it because punctuation practices are far too diverse and/or situation-specific?

I'm really interested to discover the 'official' line regarding the semicolon. I'm pretty sure it has a very well-defined role to play; but I tend to use it fairly willy-nilly, wherever it seems to fit.

Re: The elusive semicolon

Generally, I find using the semicolon relatively straightforward. If I have two sentences and I feel they are too closely connected to be divided by a full stop, I use a semicolon.

The important thing to remember is that a semicolon must be preceeded and proceeded by full sentences.

The colon provides me with more of a challenge.

I agree that a specific punctuation section would be beneficial.
    Last edited by colloquium; 24-Sep-2008 at 16:26.

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedagog View Post
    Why don't we have a section on punctuation? Is it because punctuation practices are far too diverse and/or situation-specific?

I'm really interested to discover the 'official' line regarding the semicolon. I'm pretty sure it has a very well-defined role to play; but I tend to use it fairly willy-nilly, wherever it seems to fit.
    Punctuation is part of general grammar. There is no specific forum for other grammatical details.

As to the semi-colon, it has a specific function: Punctuation Made Simple: Guide to The Semicolon

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I found this presentation on the net some time ago - can't trace it now - and I've had to zip it up. It's quite laborious to page through, but worth the effort.

b

PS Even after zipping it up (it was originally a PPS file) it's 165 Kb. So either Red5 can take pity on me, or anyone who wants it can send me a PM with their address.

The site Anglika mentioned quotes these three sentences:

Jim is a good typist; he makes few mistakes.

The AFC Corporation is an excellent company to invest in; its investments have risen sharply and steadily over each of the last ten years.

Ms. Sanchez is a successful real estate salesperson; however, she was unable to sell her own house.

How do others in the forum conceive of 'pausing' and other uses of punctuation when they write? I would have written:

Jim is a good typist and makes few mistakes.

The AFC Corporation is an excellent company to invest in: its investments have risen sharply and steadily over each of the last ten years. (I'm willing to defend my choice!)

Ms. Sanchez is a successful real estate salesperson; however, she was unable to sell her own house. (NO CHANGE...though perhaps myself, I would have used a period.)