Question Question about the use of having instead of with

I have a question about the use of having instead of with. For example in the sentence I use within my CV:

I am a Business School graduate having over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager with extensive Business Analysis and Change Management skills.

By using having it seems that I have consequently to write something
    at the end of the sentence, like: ...having over 15 years' experience.... I could cover this role... (just an example, I hope that it fits the context).

In other words I would say something else instead, like:

I am a Business School graduate with over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager and extensive Business Analysis and Change Management skills.

What do you reckon?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Question about the use of having instead of with

I am a Business School graduate with over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager and extensive Business Analysis and Change Management skills.

It would be better to word it like this, it's more direct and easy to uderstand.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Question Re: Question about the use of having instead of with

Quote Originally Posted by SunMoon View Post
    I have a question about the use of having instead of with. For example in the sentence I use within my CV:

I am a Business School graduate having over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager with extensive Business Analysis and Change Management skills.

By using having it seems that I have consequently to write something
    at the end of the sentence, like: ...having over 15 years' experience.... I could cover this role... (just an example, I hope that it fits the context).

In other words I would say something else instead, like:

What do you reckon?
    The sentence structure suggested by bhaisahab is undoubtedly the best. Between your two sentences,
    I think the first sentence: having over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager with extensive Business Analysis and Change Management skills;
    is a better sentence because the acquired skills go with the position eg.Project Manager, where as the second sentece: with over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager and extensive Business Analysis and Change Management skills. does not say so. If the skills acquired are due to the position, then you must use the preposition "in" instead of "and".
    Last edited by sarat_106; 25-Sep-2008 at 10:59.

Re: Question about the use of having instead of with

Only 'with' is correct here:
    I am a Business School graduate with over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager ...

'having' has the meaning 'as I have'/'as I had'

So, in your sentence: I am a Business School graduate as I have over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager ...

No. You are a graduate because you did the course work; and then worked and acquired 15 years experience...

Having gained my degree, I was able to obtain a position with Whizz Bang Co.