• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

shall vs will

which one is suitable for this sentence ?

We shall / will release one 20' container closing on 10 Oct to you.
    Last edited by Zoe2008; 25-Sep-2008 at 13:43.

1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: shall via will

I am a student

I think the rule is that for I and we, you use shall.

I shall open the container
    We shall open the container

They will open the container
    He will open the container

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: shall vs will

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe2008 View Post
    which one is suitable for this sentence ?

We shall / will release one 20' container closing on 10 Oct to you.
    Actually what RICH said is the genral rule or you can say the formal use of both the modal verbs to express future. So you can accept his suggestion.But strictly speaking these have other specific uses, such as:
    1. To express a future event without emotional overtones, one should say I shall, we shall, but you/he/she/they will; conversely, for emphasis, willfulness, or insistence, one should say I/we will, but you/he/she/they shall".
    2. Legal codes use "shall" and "shall not" to express mandatory action and prohibition.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: shall vs will

The situation is summarized in this quote:

There is considerable confusion about when to use 'shall' and 'will'. The traditional rule in standard English is that 'shall' is used with first person pronouns ( I and we) to form the future tense, while will is used with second and third persons ( you, he, she, it, they): : I shall be late;: she will be late.
    When expressing a strong determination to do something, the traditional rule is that will is used with the first person, and shall with the second and third persons: : I will not tolerate this;: you shall go to school. In practice, however, shall and will are today used more or less interchangeably in statements (although not in questions). Given that the forms are frequently contracted ( we'll, she'll, etc.), there is often no need to make a choice between shall and will, another factor no doubt instrumental in weakening the distinction. In modern English, the interchangeable use of shall and will is an acceptable part of standard U.S. and British English.

So - where does that leave you in real life situations:
    Contractions are fine for everyday conversations or letters to friends, but not in more formal letters. If you write, "I shall be able to attend the interview on...", an educated person would be impressed - an uneducated person would think that you must be 'educated', 'talk proper', and must be right in your use of 'shall' when they would have said 'will'. However, there is no black mark if you write, "I will be able to attend..." in anyone's eyes..........except pernickety setters of English Entrance exams and the like. Stick clear of them and you're on safe ground!
    Last edited by David L.; 25-Sep-2008 at 14:51.