• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Please paraphrase this for me

Please paraphrase the following in bold in easy English.

1. In times of change the learners shall inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.

2. Managers must know where to find information, not have total recall. Those who can think are much more important than those who can regurgitate facts. Remember: It's very difficult to be overtrained! So get involved in continuing education, seminars, books, and tapes.

Thank you.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: Please paraphrase this for me

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Idioms:

1. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. The Idiom Connection and You can't teach an old dog new tricks. The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002 (See Generation gap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I can understand the idioms you provided, but I'm still not sure how they are related to the quote whose meaning I asked about. Is it saying "the learners will be able to adapt well to a new and changed world, and the learned will be well prepared to deal with the future world?" It's confusing. What's the difference between "the learners" and "the learned" in the context?

2. A little learning is a dangerous thing - Idiom Definition - UsingEnglish.com
    I know what this idiom means. Could I paraphrase the quote in question like "You cannot be trained too much. You must not cease to train yourself?"

Re: Please paraphrase this for me

1. In times of change the learners shall inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.
    In my opinion the learners will reach their goals, will succeed; the learned are the people who stopped learning - and the rest of the sentence is an irony - they will be ready to deal with/ to face the reality of yesterday (the world is changing, what was the news yesterday is old today), other words, they will fail.

2. Managers must know where to find information, not have total recall. Those who can think are much more important than those who can regurgitate facts. Remember: It's very difficult to be overtrained! So get involved in continuing education, seminars, books, and tapes.
    Well, it is almost impossible to know too much/to have too much knowledge.
    I hope it helps.