Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #1

    Zi Qiang Bu Xi?

    Hello Everyone,

    ZI QIANG BU XI, an Chinese proverb, means working very hard, never stopping, to pursue one's aspiration

    I am wondering here whether unremitting can be its equivalence?

    And can we say unremitting spirit?

    Regards

    Sky

  1. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #2

    Smile Re: Zi Qiang Bu Xi?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    ZI QIANG BU XI, an Chinese proverb, means working very hard, never stopping, to pursue one's aspiration

    I am wondering here whether unremitting can be its equivalence?

    And can we say unremitting spirit?

    Regards

    Sky
    Hi, Sky!

    Yes! I would say that you are on the right track!

    I found the following paragraph online: Paralympic MascotCows, symbolic of a down-to-earth, diligent, staunch and never-say-die spirit, are adopted to show the unremitting spirit of athletes with a disability in being the best they can be. It dovetails with the upbeat spirit of Paralympians and the concept of "Transcendence, Equality, Integration" of the Beijing Paralympic Games.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #3

    Re: Zi Qiang Bu Xi?

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, Sky!

    Yes! I would say that you are on the right track!

    I found the following paragraph online: Paralympic MascotCows, symbolic of a down-to-earth, diligent, staunch and never-say-die spirit, are adopted to show the unremitting spirit of athletes with a disability in being the best they can be. It dovetails with the upbeat spirit of Paralympians and the concept of "Transcendence, Equality, Integration" of the Beijing Paralympic Games.

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Hi Amigo,

    Who do you think if I use dauntless and dashing( or either of them) to replace unremitting?

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #4

    Re: Zi Qiang Bu Xi?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hi Amigo,

    Who do you think if I use dauntless and dashing( or either of them) to replace unremitting?
    Sky,

    Personally, I'd stick with the organizers of the Beijing Paralympics and use 'unremitting'.
    My second choice would be 'dauntless', as in: In spite of the scale of the famine, the relief workers struggled on with dauntless optimism and commitment.
    I would definitely NOT use 'dashing'! James Bond is 'dashing'; handsome and easy to look at! 'Dashing' does not have the same impact that your first two choices have.

    Cheers,
    Dashing Amigo



    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #5

    Re: Zi Qiang Bu Xi?

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Sky,

    Personally, I'd stick with the organizers of the Beijing Paralympics and use 'unremitting'.
    My second choice would be 'dauntless', as in: In spite of the scale of the famine, the relief workers struggled on with dauntless optimism and commitment.
    I would definitely NOT use 'dashing'! James Bond is 'dashing'; handsome and easy to look at! 'Dashing' does not have the same impact that your first two choices have.

    Cheers,
    Dashing Amigo

    The root of dashing is dash, which means moving or going somewhere quickly. Therefore, I am wondering here whether dashing has a similar meaning .

  3. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #6

    Re: Zi Qiang Bu Xi?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    The root of dashing is dash, which means moving or going somewhere quickly. Therefore, I am wondering here whether dashing has a similar meaning .
    Hi, Sky!

    You are correct! Dashing also means moving quickly or going somewhere in North American English. In my example, I used dashing to mean elegant and gallant in appearance and manner; as in James Bond's appearance.

    My hunch is that most native English speakers would not equate dashing with dauntless and unremitting. Therefore, I would not be inclined to use it when speaking of people who are "working very hard, never stopping, to pursue one's aspiration". To me, dashing implies someone who is racing about without control of a given situation.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #7

    Re: Zi Qiang Bu Xi?

    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, Sky!

    You are correct! Dashing also means moving quickly or going somewhere in North American English. In my example, I used dashing to mean elegant and gallant in appearance and manner; as in James Bond's appearance.

    My hunch is that most native English speakers would not equate dashing with dauntless and unremitting. Therefore, I would not be inclined to use it when speaking of people who are "working very hard, never stopping, to pursue one's aspiration". To me, dashing implies someone who is racing about without control of a given situation.

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Hi Amigo,

    Can you give me an exact example here to explain " dashing implies someone who is racing about without control of a given situation"

    Regards

    Sky

  4. thedaffodils's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 3,973
    #8

    Smile Re: Zi Qiang Bu Xi?

    Hello, I am not a teacher.

    go-getter
    noun [C]
    someone who is very energetic, determined to be successful and able to deal with new or difficult situations easily:


    go-getting
    adjective
    He's a go-getting high-powered business manager.
    Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press

  5. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #9

    Smile Re: Zi Qiang Bu Xi?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hi Amigo,

    Can you give me an exact example here to explain " dashing implies someone who is racing about without control of a given situation"

    Regards

    Sky
    Hi, Sky!

    Check out the following URL for examples of frantic 'dashing':
    dashing about frantically - Google Search

    One of the examples I found online: There was a sound of undergrowth being disturbed -- a click of breaking branches, a weighty pushing through low foliage -- and then a kind of large, vaguely irritable snuffling noise. Bear! I sat bolt upright. Instantly every neuron in my brain was awake and dashing around frantically, like ants when you disturb their nest.

    Cheers,
    Amigo

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •