Down on sb

<My sweet and respectful teachers> "dawn on sb" i was about to phone you when it downed on me that i hadn't have phone with me correct? One more thing, what if i don't use 'had'. May i say like... I was about to phone you when it dawned on me that i left my phone at home or i had left my phone at home which one is correct or better to use? Regards!

Re: Down on sb

The last one is correct; we use the past perfect to show that something happened before something else in the past. You left your phone at home before the fact dawned on you: the past perfect is used to create this timeline and make the order of events clear.

I was about to phone you when it dawned (past simple) on me that I had left (past perfect: relative to primary past simple) my phone at home.

I am not a teacher.

Re: Down on sb

Quote Originally Posted by twilit View Post
    <My sweet and respectful respectedteachers>

"Dawn on sb" - I was about to phone you when it dawned on me that I hadn't didn't have my/a phone with me." Is this correct? Yes

One more thing, what if I don't use 'had'. May I say "I was about to phone you when it dawned on me that I left my phone at home" or "I had left my phone at home". Which one is correct or better to use? Regards! You need "had" in this sentence, though colloquially you will hear it said without "had".
    Could you try to use punctuation? It would make your sentences much easier to follow!