Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

no

Hi,

Jack: I got that coming to me, because I have not caused no static in this place. Please do not take it away from me.

I have a question about the sentence underlined. There's two negative words in this one: "have not" and "no". Two negative words together means "yes". So does this sentence mean: because I have caused static in this place. ? I think it is obvious wrong if I get this sentence in this way. So what does "no" mean in this context? How could I get this one in a correct way?

Thanks for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: no

The sentence is incorrect as it is, it should read: "...because I have not caused any static in this place."

Is this dialogue from a movie or TV show, and is the character an African American?

Is this dialogue from a movie or TV show, and is the character an African American?

(Sounds like an example of, "I cain't (sic) git no satisfacshun (sic).

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Hi, David L.

You are really like little kid. If you are an adult and intellectual ( I used to think you are, because you keep helping kids like me learn language), I can not believe you would like to keep doing something like this.

By the way I have to say, African American are also kind people, they should be talked about with respect.

In the end, if you really would like to continue. I will not interfere. Go ahead.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Why do you think that David L is not being respectful towards African Americans? There is absolutely nothing disrespectful in his post where he simply asks if the dialogue is from an African American in a tv show.
    What is wrong with that?

...and the words I quoted are from a popular song.

Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi,

Jack: I got that coming to me, because I have not caused no static in this place. Please do not take it away from me.

I have a question about the sentence underlined. There's two negative words in this one: "have not" and "no". Two negative words together means "yes". So does this sentence mean: because I have caused static in this place. ? I think it is obvious wrong if I get this sentence in this way. So what does "no" mean in this context? How could I get this one in a correct way?

Thanks for your help.
    I agree that it could mean that he has caused static. The preceding context would indicate if static has been referred to.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I agree that it could mean that he has caused static. The preceding context would indicate if static has been referred to.
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Hi, Anglika,[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The reason I asked this question is, I look it up in the dictionary where I found the definition of "no" is "not any". Like I said, there are two negative words" have not" and "no (not any)" in the sentence, and two negative words together would be "yes". So I got this sentence like: Because I have caused static in this place. But the question is it is obvious weird if I get it in this way according to the original context. Jack's boss told him he is gonna block his access to go on a vacation in Panama. Then there is an argue taking place in the office between Jack and his boss. [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']So, according to this context, I think bhaisahab is right, it should get it in this way: I got that coming to me, because I have not cause any static in this place. (so I have the right to go on a vacation in Panama) [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post

(Sounds like an example of, "I cain't (sic) git no satisfacshun (sic).
    Hi, David L.

I am SO sorry. But do not you know that I do not have the ability to appreciate your superior sense of humor. (I remember you told me before: do not your realize my sense of humor about it?) Just like you said, we are mob, and like you said in this post, we are African American, we just know how to speak something like, “wanna”, “gonna”, “ain’t” “cain’t”, etc.

So, you are highly educated, you are nobleman, you come from upper class. There’s no other one who is gonna catch up with you.

Are you really a teacher? If you have any questions about my post, please tell me, I am pretty happy to accept your advice. If you do not like my questions, just PLEASE keep staying away from them. But... I really can not understand why you have such a habit to always keep doing such a lousy things with a student. There’s no joy about it, and no one is gonna enjoy with you.

Eventually, I have to tell you, I am gonna keep saying something like, “wanna”, “ain’t”, that is my habit, that is just such a thing a mob, an African Amerian should do. And Because “ I cain’t git no satisfacshun”,(what does this mean I think you are the person who get it most clearly) Mr. Highly educated B. !!!
    Last edited by XINLAI-UE; 29-Sep-2008 at 17:07.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast