shortfall

Hi, this is a quotation from the article I read the other day.

-----------------------------------------------

In their early 20s, about 90 percent of men and women say they want to be happily married. That comes sooner for women, who get married at a much earlier age than men on average, contributing to higher satisfaction with family life, the study results show.

It's the shortfall between wanting a happy marriage and actually attaining it that translates into a cheery outlook in that part of one's life.

"For men it's less of a shortfall when they are older, because that's when they tend to be married and when women have already experienced things like divorce and widowhood,"
    -----------------------------------------------I don't understand what the author means by the underlined sentence. I think "the shortfall between~" means "one wants to be happily married but somehow can't attain it." Why does that translate into a "cheery" outlook instead of "grim" outlook?

Please someone answer this question.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: shortfall

Rainbow, I agree - it makes no sense. A cheery outlook is not a natural consequence of failing to attain your goal.

(Do women really get married so much younger than men that they are already widows by the time men marry? Who are these men marrying then? The widows??)

Barb D, thank you for the reply!

I'm relieved now that a native speaker says that sentence doesn't make sense (I spent a lot of time trying to understand the meaning of that sentence!)

I agree with you about women marrying so much earlier than men and quickly becoming widows. It's as if men and women age at different speeds, hahaha

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Rainbow, I would say either the author is not a careful writer, or the work was translated by someone who was not very careful.

So... worry no longer! Your instincts are right.

Thank you again, Barb D!

I really appreciate your help.