• Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

• Post Thanks / Like

Communicative confidence

Can anybody please tell me about this. The types: social, linguistic, discourse, and strategic. What to use, how to use, and when to use...

Bilingual policies...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Communicative confidence

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    Can anybody please tell me about this. The types: social, linguistic, discourse, and strategic. What to use, how to use, and when to use...

Bilingual policies...
    What have you come up with so far?
    I guess you have to write an essay about Language Policy, specifically Bilingual. Do you know what a bilingual language policy is?
    Are you saying that those are four types of bilingual policy that you have to write about?
    Does you subject line "Communicative confidence" have a role to play in your essay? What is the question you have to answer?
    PS: This sounds like a fairly complicated topic.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    What have you come up with so far?
    I guess you have to write an essay about Language Policy, specifically Bilingual. Do you know what a bilingual language policy is?
    Are you saying that those are four types of bilingual policy that you have to write about?
    Does you subject line "Communicative confidence" have a role to play in your essay? What is the question you have to answer?
    PS: This sounds like a fairly complicated topic.
    It's not an essay. I need to know what it is, so I need information as to what Bilingual Policy is.

And, sorry, it's Communicative Competence, not confidence. And it's types. 1. grammatical 2.sociolinguistics 3. discourse 4.strategic...

Could you give me even useful sites at least. A little personal thoughts too can be very helpful.

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    It's not an essay. I need to know what it is, so I need information as to what Bilingual Policy is.

And, sorry, it's Communicative Competence, not confidence. And it's types. 1. grammatical 2.sociolinguistics 3. discourse 4.strategic...

Could you give me even useful sites at least. A little personal thoughts too can be very helpful.

Thanks!
    OK, they're all just isolated words as you've given them, but I'll try to make some sense out of it.
    A Bilingual Language Policy is one in which 2 or more (multilingual) languages are given approximately equal value in schools as a language of instruction. A current example is USA, which used to have a monolingual policy (or none at all), which meant all instruction was in English. Now (some) African Americans want their children taught in their own dialect (African American Vernacular English), and Hispanics want their children taught originally in Spanish, to learn English when they're older. That would be a trilingual, or multilingual, system. Since it is being tried by some states, those states have a Multilingual Language Policy.
    Also, it refers to whether street signs and official records are kept in one or more languages. Canada, for example has English and French as official languages.
    Communicative competence means what it says. It's the competence to communicate fluently in a language, not only getting the grammar right, but using terms appropritately, at the right time, etc.
    grammatical refers to grammar
    sociolinguistics is the academic discipline in which these things are are studied.
    discourse is speaking or conversation
    strategic. Well any Language Policy, indeed any policy is strategic.

I cannot make out the meaning of Types of Policy based on the words you've given me.