• Post Thanks / Like

Abstract Problem

Hello, I have been trying to develop two separate phonetic alphabets (phonetic is probably the wrong word for the situation). Since it is hard to explain what I am trying to do I will give an example:

Alphabet 1 and Alphabet 2

Apple --- Papa
    Banana --- Abnormal
    Citrus --- Ice
    Down --- Odd
    Education --- Devil
    Feet --- Effective
    Guard --- Ugly
    HTML --- Thorn

Hopefully you can see the pattern where the first to letters of the word are reversed and a word is made, like ĎAPíple then ĎPAípa. I am trying to do this for the whole alphabet without using the same letter twice. Therefore, since 'A' turns into 'P' no other word can have 'P' as its second letter. Another example may illustrate this better:
    A -> P
    B -> A
    C -> I
    D -> O
    E -> D
    F -> E
    G -> U
    H -> T
    So no letter in the second column can be repeated and no letter in the first column can be repeated. Hopefully, this is making more sense if it isn't I apologize.

The question is: Is it possible to complete the rest of the alphabet doing this? Because as you can see I started to refer to 'HTML' which isn't even a word, because most words have vowels as their second letters and if they donít like the word 'grave' there is no word that starts with 'rg' that I can find.

Well if anyone could help it would be appreciated, even if a couple of word pairs are added it will help especially if a vowel isnít involved within the first two letters.

Thank you and sorry for the poor explanation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abstract Problem

Quote Originally Posted by lilzeus7 View Post
    Hello, I have been trying to develop two separate phonetic alphabets (phonetic is probably the wrong word for the situation). Since it is hard to explain what I am trying to do I will give an example:

Alphabet 1 and Alphabet 2

Apple --- Papa
    Banana --- Abnormal
    Citrus --- Ice
    Down --- Odd
    Education --- Devil
    Feet --- Effective
    Guard --- Ugly
    HTML --- Thorn

Hopefully you can see the pattern where the first to letters of the word are reversed and a word is made, like ĎAPíple then ĎPAípa. I am trying to do this for the whole alphabet without using the same letter twice. Therefore, since 'A' turns into 'P' no other word can have 'P' as its second letter. Another example may illustrate this better:
    A -> P
    B -> A
    C -> I
    D -> O
    E -> D
    F -> E
    G -> U
    H -> T
    So no letter in the second column can be repeated and no letter in the first column can be repeated. Hopefully, this is making more sense if it isn't I apologize.

The question is: Is it possible to complete the rest of the alphabet doing this? Because as you can see I started to refer to 'HTML' which isn't even a word, because most words have vowels as their second letters and if they donít like the word 'grave' there is no word that starts with 'rg' that I can find.

Well if anyone could help it would be appreciated, even if a couple of word pairs are added it will help especially if a vowel isnít involved within the first two letters.

Thank you and sorry for the poor explanation.
    I would say it can't be done - especially not from your first 8, in which you've used up all the vowels already on the right.
    You'd need to use all the words that start with 2 consonants first, and conserve the vowels.
    Apple --- Papa
    Banana --- Abnormal
    Csar --- Scare ("I" saved for later)
    Even in theory, you'd need words for all letters such that *L and L* are the start of words (where L is any letter, and * is any other)
    Are there any words that work for *Q and Q*? Perhaps "Aqua - Qat".
    But you will have used your "A" long before you get to Q.

Good Luck though!

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abstract Problem

Thank you for the help.

Yes, I know I must change from the first example I gave. Your added suggestions are noted thank you. I will keep trying but I also do feel it is most likely hopeless.

Any other pairs would be great though.