Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    #1

    present tense

    Can I use the present tense like this?
    He gives her a flower.
    Thank you in advance.
    Have a good time!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #2

    Exclamation Re: present tense

    Quote Originally Posted by whitemoon View Post
    Can I use the present tense like this?
    He gives her a flower.
    Thank you in advance.
    Have a good time!
    As long as you don't use a past time expression, it is ok because it may today. The moment a past time expression such as 'two hours back' or 'yesterday' is added to the sentece, you have to use past simple.

  2. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    #3

    Re: present tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Manas Ranjan Mallick View Post
    As long as you don't use a past time expression, it is ok because it may today. The moment a past time expression such as 'two hours back' or 'yesterday' is added to the sentece, you have to use past simple.
    Thank you.
    Suppose he gave her a flower at 8 o' clock in this morning. Can I say in the evening?
    He gives her a flower.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #4

    Exclamation Re: present tense

    No, you can't do that. Any time mentioned even a minute befre is a past time


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 5,409
    #5

    Re: present tense

    Can you give a context, like a conversation, where someone would say this?

  3. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    #6

    Re: present tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Manas Ranjan Mallick View Post
    As long as you don't use a past time expression, it is ok because it may today.
    This sentence means, I understand , without a past time expression, I can use "He gives her a flower".
    So I say "He gives her a flower" in the evening what happened in the morning without a past time expression. But you don't accpet it. Why?
    What I understand;
    He is holding a flower and she is coming here; at that time, I can say,
    He gives her a flower. (That is near future or it is already planned to give her it.)
    When I see him giving her a flower, I can say,
    He is giving her a flower.
    When I saw he gave her a flower in the morning, I can say with a past time expression;
    He gave her a flower in this morning.
    In this case, can I say without past time expression like this?
    He gives her a flower.
    Have a good time!


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    #7

    Re: present tense

    Quote Originally Posted by whitemoon View Post
    Can I use the present tense like this?
    He gives her a flower.
    Thank you in advance.
    Have a good time!
    A recurrent action in the present: He gives her a flower every day, and that helps her to keep wrinkles away.

    A point-action in the present (used by commentators, or in stage remarks): Everybody is looking at them. He comes up to her and gives her the flower.

    A point-action in the past (the so-called 'dramatic present'): You know what happened next? He comes up to her and gives her the flower. How do you like it?

  4. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    #8

    Re: present tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    A recurrent action in the present: He gives her a flower every day, and that helps her to keep wrinkles away.

    A point-action in the present (used by commentators, or in stage remarks): Everybody is looking at them. He comes up to her and gives her the flower.

    A point-action in the past (the so-called 'dramatic present'): You know what happened next? He comes up to her and gives her the flower. How do you like it?
    Thank you!
    Now I write one sentence.
    He gives her a flower.
    Is that a recurrent action or a point-action in the present or a point-action in the past?

  5. whitemoon's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Burmese
      • Home Country:
      • Myanmar
      • Current Location:
      • Myanmar

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 609
    #9

    Re: present tense

    Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Can you give a context, like a conversation, where someone would say this?
    Some foreinger say:
    He gives an address.
    But he has already given an address.
    Is it right?


    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 1,571
    #10

    Re: present tense

    Quote Originally Posted by whitemoon View Post
    Thank you!
    Now I write one sentence.
    He gives her a flower.
    Is that a recurrent action or a point-action in the present or a point-action in the past?
    As a stand alone sentence, it sounds more like a stage remark.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. present perfect tense & present perfect continuous tense
    By *zaizai~love* in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2008, 23:06
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2008, 12:41
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2008, 05:20
  4. Past perfect tense usage - lack of clarity
    By venkatasu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-May-2008, 11:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •