• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

chain of command culture / bully pulpit

Dear teacher,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right way with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following brief excerpt from an IHTís article?

McCain, who came of age in a chain-of-command culture, showed once again that he believes that individual leaders can play a catalytic role and should use the bully pulpit to push politicians. Obama, who came of age as a community organizer, showed once again that he believes several minds are better than one, and that, for all of his oratorical skill, he is wary of too much showmanship.

chain of command culture = hierarchy culture
    bully pulpit = superb platform

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: chain of command culture / bully pulpit

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teacher,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am on the right way with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following brief excerpt from an IHTís article?

McCain, who came of age in a chain-of-command culture, showed once again that he believes that individual leaders can play a catalytic role and should use the bully pulpit to push politicians. Obama, who came of age as a community organizer, showed once again that he believes several minds are better than one, and that, for all of his oratorical skill, he is wary of too much showmanship.

chain of command culture = hierarchy culture Yes - the man at the top issues a command which goes down through the ranks.

bully pulpit = superb platform If it was "a bully pulpit", then yes, that would be a fair interpretation. However, it is "the bully pulpit". Fire-and-brimstone preachers used the pulpit as the place from which they imposed their views on their listeners without contradiction. So it is more that the pulpit is a place from which bullying instructions and statement can be issued.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.