Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #1

    strategic competence?

    What is it?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #2

    Re: strategic competence?

    The opposite of 'strategic incompetence' perhaps.

  3. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #3

    Re: strategic competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The opposite of 'strategic incompetence' perhaps.
    Oh yeah, perfect! But that's not what I need.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #4

    Re: strategic competence?

    What is the context for it?

  5. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #5

    Re: strategic competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    What is the context for it?
    There's no context. It's not part of a sentence or paragraph but one of the components of Communicative Competence by Hymes.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: strategic competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    There's no context. It's not part of a sentence or paragraph but one of the components of Communicative Competence by Hymes.
    You'll probably find that Hymes has defined strategic competence somewhere; or he has defined linguistic competence, and has explained how "strategy" is related to it in some way. When he talks about strategic competence, he means the concept of linguistic competence as modified by his definition of "strategic".

  7. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #7

    Re: strategic competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You'll probably find that Hymes has defined strategic competence somewhere; or he has defined linguistic competence, and has explained how "strategy" is related to it in some way. When he talks about strategic competence, he means the concept of linguistic competence as modified by his definition of "strategic".
    You know what, it's really hard to find the definition of Strategic Competence. What I found is that it's part of "Hymes' theory", I believe, of Communicative Competence. I couldn't find a comprehensive definition/examples though.

    I searched through and through and discovered strategic competence in NCLRC. They defined it a little clearer and provided questions to further make it easier to understand.

    Thanks Raymott!

  8. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: strategic competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    You know what, it's really hard to find the definition of Strategic Competence. What I found is that it's part of "Hymes' theory", I believe, of Communicative Competence. I couldn't find a comprehensive definition/examples though.

    I searched through and through and discovered strategic competence in NCLRC. They defined it a little clearer and provided questions to further make it easier to understand.

    Thanks Raymott!
    I found a few papers. Here's an extract. PM me if you want me to send you them.

    Strategic competence
    The second major dimension of the Bachman model and the final area
    where metaphoric thinking may play a role is ‘Strategic competence’. Recent reformulations of the Bachman model have isolated a series of five very
    general, non-linguistic skills, such as evaluating (a situation, task, or
    response), deciding whether to respond, planning what would be needed
    to achieve an adequate response, and organizing the ‘elements of language
    knowledge’ to do it. The last skill was added by Douglas (2000), although
    how far it can be said to be non-linguistic is somewhat arguable. Concepts
    such as ‘evaluating’ and ‘planning’ are too general for a meaningful
    discussion about how language users handle metaphor to achieve their
    intentions, so we will focus instead on the earlier formulation, in terms of
    ‘communication strategies’.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2008, 18:27
  2. leveraging the strategic benefits
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2008, 20:23
  3. Synthesis: Strategic alliances
    By SimonUnthan in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2008, 23:12
  4. Assess the language competence of the student
    By Snow Lau in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Jul-2005, 06:49
  5. communicative competence
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2004, 00:38

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •